Admissions decisions will be made on the totality of the student’s application. However, it is expected that the typical well-qualified student will have an undergraduate GPA above 3.0 with scores above 152 on the verbal, 150 on the quantitative, and 4.0 on the analytical writing sections of the GRE.
The GRE is required for all applicants, unless the applicant has completed a PhD, JD, or MD in the United States or the equivalent of a PhD or MD outside of the United States. GRE scores will only be counted if the exam was completed within the previous five years of the application.
Applicants must show through either their quantitative GRE score or their performance in previous coursework that they possess the ability to handle the quantitative elements of the curriculum. Students must have an undergraduate degree, although no particular major is required. Applicants to the MPP program are not required to have any professional experience, although such experience enhances their application.
The Fall 2017 admissions deadline for the MPP program is June 15, 2017. The program currently only accepts Fall admissions.
All required application materials MUST be submitted by this deadline.
International applicants: Click here for additional information about admissions.
- Domestic application fee: $75
- International application fee: $150
How to Apply
The UH Graduate School Application is completed entirely online.
Please follow these steps to complete your application to the MPP program:
1. Go to ApplyWeb, and click "Create Your Account." Fill in the requested fields to create an account.
2. Check your e-mail for a message from email@example.com. Click on the link in the message to activate your account, and log into CollegeNET.
3. Click "Online Application," and enter the requested personal information.
4. For "Program Choice," select Public Policy, MPP and the requested term.
5. Enter your complete academic history.
Submit your official transcripts via one of these options. Electronic transcripts is the preferred method.
|Regular Mail Address||Express Mail Address||Electronic or Speede Transcript|
|University of Houston
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, TX 77253-3947
|University of Houston
4800 Calhoun Road
102 E. Cullen Building
Houston, TX 77204-2012
|Within the state of Texas, the fastest way to send your transcript is electronically. Please inquire at your previous institution about this option. Electronic transcripts can be delivered via email to firstname.lastname@example.org|
6. Enter your GRE test information.
GRE scores should be sent directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) to UH (GRE Code: R6870). Your application will not be processed without GRE scores. GRE scores older than five years will not be accepted.
7. Submit three letters of recommendation.
Letters of recommendation are gathered electronically. Applicants will be asked to provide the e-mail addresses of three references. Once the application is complete, the selected references will receive an e-mail providing instructions to upload their letters of recommendation.
8. Submit a personal/goal statement, resume, and answer the supplemental questions.
9. Enter awards and work experience.
10. Enter external scholarships and financial support information.
11. Enter citizenship, demographics, Texas residency questionnaire, and mandatory questions.
12. Complete the "Certificate of Information" page.
13. Submit the application.
14. Pay the $75 domestic/$150 international application fee.
15. Track your application status using your ApplyWeb account, and check items still needed for admission review.
Please contact Dr. Alan Witt (email@example.com; 713 743 3253) and Scott Mason (firstname.lastname@example.org; 713 743 5572) if you have questions concerning your application.