Successful completion of an approved internship is a graduation requirement. The internship program complements classroom learning by exposing students to various construction management functions on real-life projects. Students must complete a minimum of 400 hours of verifiable work experience prior to enrolment in the internship course (CNST 3185).
The internship experience must be gained working for an approved employer. The list of approved employers includes all the Industry Advisory Board member companies and this additional list. In addition, all government agencies are automatically approved as internship employers. Working for other employers will result in denying the request to enroll in CNST 3185. Residential contractors and specialty contractors are NOT approved internship employers.
The internship experience must be in construction management to complement the CM curriculum. Namely, the experience should be in supervisory field operations, project controls (i.e., estimating, scheduling, and cost control), or contract administration. Manual labor, trades work, technician jobs, manufacturing, sales, drafting, and other similar activities do NOT satisfy the internship experience.
More details are provided in the Course Syllabus.
For employers who are interested in hiring Construction Management students, please post your job announcement, or contact the CM Program.
Internship & Enrollment Procedure
- Student must have his/her internship employer and job approved by the CM program prior to starting an internship.
- Student must complete the minimum of 400 hours of qualifying internship work. During the internship, student shall collect and document necessary information considering the deliverables required in CNST3185, please see the syllabus for details.
- Once the minimum of 400 hours work is completed, to be eligible to enroll in CNST3185 to earn the internship credit, student must also meet all of the following requirements:
- Student must complete the prerequisite requirement of CNST3185, i.e. C or better in CNST2351 Estimating I.
- Student must submit the Enrollment Request Form to initiate intern performance evaluation by his/her supervisor. Evaluation results must be submitted by the supervisor no later than July 31 for fall semester enrollment, and December 31 for spring semester enrollment.
- Once the above requirements are all met and the intern performance evaluation result is satisfactory, student will be enrolled by the CM program in CNST3185.
- Once enrolled in CNST3185, student prepares and completes the internship report, where technical quality and written communication skill are assessed.