Students pursuing an MS or PhD degree have already been admitted to UH and they will be enrolled in the Certificate program simply upon request. Applications from prospective students interested in the Certificate only, without a further advanced degree, will be evaluated by the Data Science Institute. Admissions will be regulated by existing university rules as detailed in the Graduate Catalog. Specifically, “applicants for admission to the Certificate program must meet the same admissions standards and requirements as other applicants for graduate study, with the exception of officially reported standardized exam scores (e.g., GRE, GMAT).” Certificate only students will not be required to take the GRE.
If you are currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a MS or PhD program at the University of Houston, please register for the program using our application form.
If you are planning to enroll only for this certificate program:
- An online application must be completed with an ApplyWeb Application
- 1 official transcript should be mailed to one of the following addresses below:
University of Houston
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, TX 77253-3947
University of Houston
4302 University Dr., Rm 102
Houston, TX 77204-2012
- 1 unofficial transcript uploaded with ApplyWeb Application
- For further information on how to apply, please review the following website: How to Apply
- For further information concerning international applications, please review the following website: International Applicants
Three of the five courses constituting the program are foundational data science courses and are common for students of all engineering departments. The three data-science foundational courses are to be chosen from the two groups shown in the following table. A minimum of one course must be taken from each group.
|Group A||Group B|
MATH 6382 or MATH 6383 Probability and Statistics
|COSC 6335 Data Mining
COSC 6380 Digital Image Processing
COSC 6339 Big Data Analytics
COSC 6336 Natural Language Processing
Additional courses deemed suitable by the Mathematics and Computer Science Departments may be added once they have been approved.
The remaining two courses are to be chosen from the data-science oriented courses offered by the various departments of the College. One of these latter two courses may be project-oriented or consist of an internship in a Houston area company supervised by a UH faculty member. Every department of the Cullen College already offers courses with significant and suitable data science content. Here is a list of Data Science courses currently offered in the Cullen College of Engineering.
Spring 2019 Courses
- MATH 6397 - Multivariate Analysis TTH, 2:30pm-4pm (Syllabus)
- MATH 6383 - Probability Statistics TTH, 4pm-5:30pm
- COSC 6397 - Selected Topics in Computer Science: Introduction to Data Mining and Machine Learning MW, 1pm-2:30pm (Syllabus)
- COSC 6380 - Digital Image processing TTH, 11:30pm-1pm (waitlist)
- ENGI 6397 - Selected Topics: Data Science Projects TH, 2:30pm-5:30pm (Syllabus)
Note that, while these courses are offered in the Departments of Computer Science and Mathematics, they are not intended for students who have majored in these fields. They are suitable for students in Engineering, the Natural Sciences and other quantitative fields.