Data Science Academic Programs at UH
It would be difficult to overstate the importance of data science today and in the foreseeable future. A certain level of competence in data science, even without a specialization in the subject, already provides an edge in a job search and it will soon become a pre-requisite for interesting and rewarding employment.
It is imperative that the education provided by the University of Houston reflect this changing environment for its graduates to find fulfilling and productive jobs. For these reasons a major emphasis of the HPE DSI is on Education.
This program consist of 5 courses (15 credit hours) and can be completed in two semesters in most cases. There is a three-course common data science core followed by two domain-specific data-science-oriented courses in the student’s home department. One of the latter two courses can be project-oriented or consist of an internship in a Houston area company supervised by a UH faculty member. Internships are coordinated by the HPE DSI.
There are several data-science intensive courses offered by various UH departments. The HPE DSI is also sponsoring some courses that are intended to be part of proposed future graduate and undergraduate degree programs. These courses are:
MATH 4397 - Data Science and Statistical Learning MWF, 11am-12pm (Syllabus)
MATH 6397 - Multivariate Analysis TTH, 2:30pm-4pm (Syllabus)
MATH 6383 - Probability Statistics TTH, 4pm-5:30pm
COSC 6397 - Selected Topics in Computer Science: Introduction to Data Mining and Machine Learning MW, 1pm-2:30pm (Syllabus)
COSC 6380 - Digital Image processing TTH, 11:30pm-1pm (waitlist)
ENGI 6397 - Selected Topics: Data Science Projects TH, 2:30pm-5:30pm (Syllabus)
COSC 6380 - Digital Image Processing
MATH 6382 - Probability Statistics
- MS Data Analytics Track (Computer Science)
- MS in Statistics and Data Science (Mathematics)
- MS in Business Analytics (Business)
- Certificate in Data Analytics and Condition & Performance Monitoring (Mechanical Engineering)
- MS in Information System Security (Technology)
- DASH: Data Analytics in Student Hands (Honors College)
- Certificate in Quantitative Economics (Economics)
- Minor in Quantitative Social Science (Political Science)
- Ph.D. in Measurement, Quantitative Methods, and Learning Sciences (Education)
Engineering Data Science Oriented Courses
Here is a list of data science related courses currently offered by the Cullen College of Engineering.
Data Science Training Courses
- Machine Learning: Data Analytics & Deep Learning
- Deep Learning using TensorFlow