News and Events
Welcome to our news and events page. You will find news updates and information about current events, as well as other relevant information on this page. Please note that while some events posted here may not appear current, they are maintained as news as long as they contain topical information.
- CLASS Feature about ComD - As a May 2013 article posted on the CLASS web page points out, demand for speech-language pathologists gives our graduate program 98% job placement rate. Please click here for the full story.
- Hot Topics: Building a Foundation of Excellence - Our Hot Topics Seminar will be on Building a Foundation of Excellence in Supervision and Mentoring. The event will be held on the UH Sugar Land campus on Saturday, May 18, 2013. Please click here for more information.
- Cougar Communication Group - These affordable and intensive summer therapy groups are for children ages 18 months and up. They are designed to improve speech and language skills and maintain progress made during the school year. Please click here for the 2013 flyer.
- May is Better Hearing and Speech Month - In recognition of May as Better Hearing and Speech Month, free hearing screenings will be held in May (for anyone 10 years or older). The University Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic: A United Way Facility invites you get your hearing screened. Please click here for more information.
- Terrell Brittain featured in the Daily Cougar -Our own ASLI Assistant Professor, Terrell Brittain, was featured in a Daily Cougar article, entitled "Sign language professor transcends the spectrum of sound". Please click here for the article.
- Ms. Bruce and Ms. Reed Present at the Southeast Texas Speech, Language, and Hearing Association - "Help, I have a Fluency Case: Hands On Ways to Treat Fluency in the School Setting," was hosted in Beaumont on February 23, 2013 by the Southeast Texas Speech, Language, and Hearing Association. For more information, please click here.
- Dr. Meeks receives Staff Council Award - Staff Council recognized 25 meritorious staff - including Dr. Meeks - as representatives of the diversity and the broad range of positions and talents that support the University's missions. For more information, please click here.
- ADJUNCT OPPORTUNITIES - From time to time, opportunities arise for part-time adjunct supervision or part-time community outreach direct service delivery. To express interest and inquire about availability, please contact Melissa Bruce, Clinic Director, at 713-743-2773.
Past News and Events Items
- Dr. McHenry and colleagues on UH Moment - Dr. McHenry and her collaborators' research on professional voice was featured on KUHF News UH Moment. For more information, please click here.
- ASHA 2012- The 2012 Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association will be held in Atlanta, GA between November 15 and 17. Please click here for more information about our presenters at the 2012 ASHA Convention.
- Lidcombe Program Workshop - You are cordially invited to attend the Lidcombe Program Workshop in Houston that will be held at the University of Houston on October 4 and 5. For more information, please click here.
- Graduate Open House and Post-Bachelor's/SLPA Information Sessions - Please click here for more information.
- Melissa Bruce - Our clinic director, Ms. Bruce won the prestigious HACD Tina Bangs Award. Please click here for more information.
- Congratulations, Mr. Whitley! - Tom Whitley, our COMD Program Coordinator, received an employee excellence award.
- Congratulations, class of 2012! - Our Annual COMD Reception was held on May 10, 2012. Please click here for more information.
- Better Hearing and Speech Month - In recognition of May as Better Hearing and Speech Month, free hearing screenings will be held in May (for anyone 10 years or older). Please click here for more information.
- Cougar Communication Groups - These affordable and intensive summer therapy groups are designed to improve speech and language skills for children 2 and up and maintain progress made during the school year.
- TSHA 2012 - The 2012 Convention of the Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association was a resounding success. Congratulations to our TSHA Praxis Bowl winners!
- Dr. McHenry at the 16th Biennial Conference on Motor Speech - Her presentation was on “The Benefit of Stretched Speech: Increased Articulatory Precision or Increased Processing Time?”
- Stephanie Daniels at ISC 2012 - Dr. Daniels gave an invited presentation on the Current Science in Dysphagia Screening at the International Stroke Conference 2012: State-of-the-Art Nursing Symposium & Pre-conference Symposium. The presentation can be downloaded by clicking here.
- Untold Stories of Black Deaf Men - The second annual “Untold Stories” event at UH to uncover the realities faced by Black Deaf men in America was held on Saturday, February 25. Dr. McHenry and her collaborators' research on professional voice was featured on KUHF News UH Moment. For more information, please click here.
- Stephanie Daniels named ASHA Fellow - Congratulations to Stephanie Daniels, one of our new faculty members, whom the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association has named as one of its 2011 class of fellows.
- Houston Geriatric Education Center (HGEC) Student competition - Please click here to see the flyer for the topic and guidelines for the 2012 competition.
- Speech-language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) Certificate Program and Post-Bachelor’s Program Information Session - An information session about the Speech-language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) Certificate Program and Post-Bachelor’s Program will be held on January 13, 2012 at noon. This information session will be held on the UH Sugar Land campus. The campus is located at 14000 University Blvd, Sugar Land, TX 77479. Parking is free. Please send an email RSVP to Tom Whitley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Third Ward Health Fair - A Community Health Fair for the homeless and underserved was held on November 12, 2011, providing medical screenings, health education and referral services to Third Ward residents with the objective of encouraging healthy lifestyles, identifying health issues and promoting follow up in a patient-centered medical home.
- Welcome to our new faculty members - The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston welcomes five new members who joined our faculty in the fall of 2011: Dr. Stephanie Daniels, Dr. Byron Ross, Sharon Grigsby Hill, Terrell Brittain, and Kay James.
- Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) Certificate Program - The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston is now offering an SLPA Certificate Program. The SLPA Certificate Program is designed for individuals who have already obtained a Bachelor’s degree in an area other than Communication Sciences and Disorders or Speech-Language Pathology.
- Collaboration on UH Moment - This UH Moment features the collaboration between Dr. Rachel Aghara, a faculty member in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders and UH's Arte Público Press (APP).
- ASHA Approved Continuing Education at UH - The University of Houston received continued approval as an ASHA Approved Continuing Education (CE) Provider.
- Graduate Admissions and New GRE - The Graduate Record Examination will have a revised General Test. Anyone taking the GRE on or after August 1, 2011 will take the revised test.
- Teaching Excellence Award for Martha Dunkelberger - Congratulations to Dr. Martha Dunkelberger, who received a Teaching Excellence Award from the University of Houston. This award is given in recognition of outstanding teaching by faculty instructors, clinical faculty, research faculty, artist affiliates and lecturers.
- Hot Topics in Speech-Language Pathology - This one-day seminar will provide information about current trends in evidence-based practice for adults and pediatric populations. This is also an opportunity to obtain 2 hours of the state-required ethics training. The event will be held on May 7 on the UH main campus.
- TSHA 2011 - The 2011 Annual Convention of the Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association was held in Houston, Texas. The students and faculty of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston actively participated in the 2011 TSHA Convention.
- Invisible and Silent No More: Black Deaf Women Share Their Stories - The University of Houston ASL Interpreting Program presented a Panel Discussion featuring Black Deaf women sharing their experiences and struggles being Deaf in America. Please click here for more information on the event.
- ComD Open House - The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (COMD) hosted an Open House in January 2011 for prospective graduate and post-bachelors students.
- ASHA 2010- The 2010 Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association was held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between November 17 and 19.
- Visit by President Khator, Provost Antel, and CLASS Dean Roberts - The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders had the pleasure and the privilege of hosting President Renu Khator, Provost John Antel, and CLASS Dean John Roberts.
- COMD on UH Moment - Communication Sciences and Disorders was featured on Houston Public Radio.
- Autism Walk - The University of Houston Chapter of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association formed a team for the Walk Now for Autism Speaks event.
- Instant CLASSic- Our ComD undergraduate students and faculty participated in the Instant CLASSic event on October 7, 2010.
- Faculty Spotlight - Communication Sciences and Disorders faculty member, Ferenc Bunta, is featured on the web page of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
- "INSIDE OUT" - Adam White's award-winning documentary about the life of a child with autism was featured on Fox 26 News.
- ComD Reception, 2010 - The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston celebrated the graduation of its undergraduate and graduate students and the completion of a successful academic year.
- Re-Accreditation of our graduate program - We are pleased to announce that our program was re-accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) until 2018.
- HACD Banquet - The Houston Association for Communication Disorders held its Annual Awards Banquet and Silent Auction on Monday, May 3, 2010 at the Spaghetti Warehouse in downtown Houston. Please click here to see pictures of this event.
- "INSIDE OUT" - The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston presented a private screening of Adam White's award-winning documentary, Inside Out. Please click here to find out more about the event.
- TSHA 2010 - The 2010 Convention of the Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association was a resounding success. Please visit this link to see the pictures and share in our experiences.
- "Do You Hear What I Hear?" Conference on Hearing Loss at St. Luke's United Methodist Church- This event was sponsored by St. Luke's United Methodist Church and The University of Houston Speech, Language, and Hearing Clinic: A United Way Facilty provided free hearing screenings and the UH Student Speech, Language, and Hearing Association offered workshop volunteer services. Dr. Jennifer Meeks, USLHC Staff Audiologist, provided consultation on hearing loss during the conference.