||Unit 2 Lecture 2: Taking the Role of the Other
George Herbert Mead, Mind, Self and Society
- self consciousness involves being conscious of others
- it involves "participation in the other"--"the appearance of the other in the self"
- taking the role of the other means putting yourself in another person's place to think/reflect about yourself
- taking the role of the other helps to control your own response
- taking the role of the other is important for the development of cooperative activity
- this reflective cooperative activity takes cooperation "farther than it can be carried in the herd as such, or in insect society"
- taking the role of the other helps to integrate the individual with organized social processes
- taking the role the other is also a source of self criticism