- The Alcohol Education Program for Minors (MIP) is a six-hour course (two sessions of three hours). Texas state law requires that minors who have been convicted of alcohol-related offenses complete this course, which is certified by Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
- The University is pleased to offer this course every two months on Tuesday and Wednesday (5:00pm – 8:00pm). Please make sure to check the date in the Course Calendar.
- To successfully complete the course, participants must take and pass a short test covering course materials. Information is kept confidential with the exception of reporting some data to TDLR.
- An individual exit interview is required for completion. This interview must be completed within a week of the last class date to receive credit for the course. Most interviews are held after class on second day, therefore, you should be prepared to stay after class or to schedule another date and time with your instructor.
By taking MIP, participants will be able to:
- Recognize their drinking patterns that could lead to alcohol related incidence.
- Identify a self-protected behavior to incorporate into their lives to reduce alcohol consumption.
- Identify relevant laws relating to purchase, possession or consumption (during social gatherings or operating a motor vehicle) of alcohol by minors.
The Class is held at the UH Wellness Extension Classroom Suite 170 of the Welcome Center Building. The suite is in between the Cougar Card Office and McAllister directly across from the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.
- There is a non-refundable fee of $40.00 for the course, which is due at the time of your registration. You are not considered enrolled until this fee is paid.
- Also, if you are younger than sixteen years of age, you need the approval of your parent or guardian to enroll in this course.
- Please be sure to have your drivers' license number, judge's name and if applicable, this university representative's name when registering. Currently, you must register in person at the Campus Recreation Wellness Center (CRWC) administrative office on the second floor, at least two (2) days prior to the scheduled date. Registration takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Please come between 9:00am — 4:00pm. You can pay by CHECK or MONEY ORDER. You cannot pay with CougarCash.
Where to park
Weekday parking information is available at the Visitor information booth, located at Entrance #1(off Calhoun). The closest parking lot the Welcome Center parking or lot #20A - just across University Drive from CRWC.
All classes are subject to change each semester. You must attend BOTH sessions to complete the course requirements.
For Information regarding MIP class administration, course content, or other general questions, contact Brittani Clarkson, Assistant Director at (713) 743- 5589.