- The Alcohol Education Program for Minors (MIP) is a six-hour course (two sessions of three hours). Texas state law requires that minors who have been convicted of alcohol-related offenses complete this course, which is certified by the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS).
- The University is pleased to offer this course every two months on Tuesday and Wednesday (4:30pm – 8:00pm). Please make sure to check the date in the Course Calendar.
- To successfully complete the course, participants must take and pass a short test covering course materials. Information is kept confidential with the exception of reporting some data to the TDSHS.
- An individual exit interview is required for completion. This interview must be completed within a week of the last class date to receive credit for the course. Most interviews are held after class on second day, therefore, you should be prepared to stay after class or to schedule another date and time with your instructor.
By taking MIP, participants will be able to:
- Recognize their drinking patterns that could lead to alcohol related incidence.
- Identify a self-protected behavior to incorporate into their lives to reduce alcohol consumption.
- Identify relevant laws relating to purchase, possession or consumption (during social gatherings or operating a motor vehicle) of alcohol by minors.
Class is held at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, Room 1038 (inside the building, to the right). The CRWC is located at the corner of University Drive and Calhoun.
- There is a non-refundable fee of $40.00 for the course, which is due at the time of your registration. You are not considered enrolled until this fee is paid.
- Also, if you are younger than sixteen years of age, you need the approval of your parent or guardian to enroll in this course.
- Please be sure to have your drivers' license number, judge's name and if applicable, this university representative's name when registering. Currently, you must register in person at the Campus Recreation Wellness Center (CRWC) administrative office, at least two (2) days prior to the scheduled date. Registration takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Please come between 9:00am — 4:00pm Monday through Friday. You can pay CASH ONLY. You cannot pay with CougarCash.
Where to park
Weekday parking is available at the Visitor information booth, located at Entrance #1(off Calhoun).Daily parking tag is $3.00. The closest parking lot is #20A - just across University Drive from CRWC.
All classes meet on Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday depending on dates below. Subject to change each semester. You must attend BOTH sessions to complete the course requirements.
For Information regarding MIP class administration, course content, or other general questions, contact Reuben Parrish, Assistant Director at (713) 743- 5487.