By engaging in CASICS, participants will be able to:
- Reflect and discuss their smoking behavior with a facilitator.
- Formulate goals to help reduce smoking habit in 1-2 months after initial sanctioned meeting.
CASICS (Cannabis Screening and Intervention for College Students) is a nationally recognized and evidence-based program to reduce smoking use. The CASICS program is open to all students, but is primarily used as an educational sanction in the conduct process.
As part of CASICS, participants will explore their own alcohol use in a non-judgmental environment by completing an online survey e-CHECKUP TO GO which is an anonymous, marijuana-specific brief feedback tool designed to help college students take a look at their marijuana use. learn how to reduce risky behavior and avoid harmful consequences, identify changes that could help reduce their risk, and learn important information and skills to assist with risk reduction. These conversations are private, and will not be shared outside of discussion.
If you are sanctioned or interested in this program, the following steps will occur:
- Please contact Reuben Parrish(713-743-5487), Assistant Director of UH Wellness, to notify that you need to take CASICS.
- You will be assigned a faculty or staff facilitator who will work with you to determine a time and date to meet.
- There is a non-refundable fee of $30.00 for the course, which is due at the time of your registration. You are not considered enrolled until this fee is paid.
- Please be sure to have your drivers' license number, judge's name and if applicable, this university representative's name when registering. Currently, you must register in person at the Campus Recreation Wellness Center (CRWC) administrative office. Registration takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Please come between 9:00am — 4:00pm Monday through Friday. You can pay with CASH ONLY. You cannot pay with CougarCash.
- All meetings will take place in UH Wellness, and will start with the online survey described above that should take participants up to 30 minutes to complete.
- Once completed, the participant will meet with the facilitator to go over their individualized results.
- A follow-up meeting will occur one month after the initial meeting. This will be scheduled with your facilitator.