WHY THIS PROGRAM?
The world is changing faster than at any time in history – especially in the world of energy. Society today has 3 fundamental expectations for our energy future: It must be affordable, accessible & reliable, and environmentally responsible. These requirements make up the Energy Trilemma. Advancing solutions that simultaneously satisfy all elements of this trilemma are the foundation and essence of Sustainable Energy Development.
To meet this challenge, and in response to the needs identified by key leaders in energy, UH Energy has developed the Sustainable Energy Development Program. It is an interactive online program, to equip you – the rising energy professional – with skills, knowledge and expertise to tackle the Energy Trilemma.
Energy professionals – current and future – have to be informed and equipped for an industry that is in transition. UH Energy’s new Sustainable Energy Development Program answers this need. Designed and presented by leaders from industry and accomplished faculty from the University of Houston, the program provides a structured series of micro-credentials or “badges” that cover the changing energy landscape and build the skills to succeed in it. Each badge is a 15-hour module, delivered over a 4-week period, and the badges are stackable.
Who Should Attend?
The Sustainable Energy Development Program has been designed with two distinct groups in mind:
- Those of you already in the energy industries are seeing significant changes almost daily. The Sustainable Energy Development Program will provide the new information, new insights, and new skills you need to manage the new demands that are placed on you as you play your part in the Energy Transition
- Those of you readying yourself for an energy career need to prepare for a dynamic, exciting and challenging professional life. The Sustainable Energy Development Program provides a unique perspective and skillset, giving you a competitively advantaged competence as you enter the energy marketplace
INDIVIDUAL BADGE PRICE:
BRONZE BELT BUNDLE (All 3 badges purchased together):
UH Energy is offering the following badge sessions in Sustainable Energy Development, starting Monday, March 1st. Instruction for each Badge consists of 8, 2-hour online sessions. Sessions are delivered twice per week, Mondays and Wednesdays, 7:00-9:00 pm, CST.
Dates for the SED Bronze Belt:
The credentialing program delivers a multi-disciplinary understanding of challenges and solutions to achieve sustainable energy development, and it is taught by world class instructors, including leaders from industry and the marketplace and accomplished faculty from the University of Houston, the Energy University, in the Energy Capital of the World.
The program will be offered in 15-hour modules, each over a 4-week period. Digital badges are awarded for each module, and sets of 3 badges you will earn a Belt. The introductory Bronze Belt is followed by an intermediate Silver Belt, and finally an advanced Gold Belt. The badges and belts provide a permanent record, endorsed by UH Energy and the University of Houston, that can be made a part of your resume to credential your new skills.
The Bronze Belt provides a framework for the energy trilemma and the key ingredients of sustainable development and decision-making. This is designed to ask and answer the key questions in each of the energy markets – Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, and Electric Power, inclusive of renewables and storage. The framework is structured within a life-cycle analysis and techno-economic modeling discipline.
This Silver Belt program builds upon the introduction to the energy transition given in the Bronze Belt in Sustainable Energy Development. It provides a deeper look at hydrogen – one of the most promising vehicles for decarbonizing the global energy system. The three badges explore hydrogen production, hydrogen transportation, safety and use, and the commercial opportunity for hydrogen. A capstone project is included, to consolidate the multidisciplinary learnings of this exciting new program.
The Gold Belt provides tools and techniques to evaluate technical and business solutions for the development of sustainable energy solutions that encompass carbon management and socially responsible investments. The focus of the evaluation is business feasibility, environmental impact, scale-up and implementation, and overall business viability.
After successfully completing this program, participants will be able to understand:
- Key characteristics and drivers of the Energy Transition and the Energy Trilemma
- Critical perspectives for the decision-makers in the key energy market segments of O&G, Petrochemicals, and Electric Power
- The Energy Trilema and the fundamentals of meeting the Energy Transition Challenge
- What are the requirements for Sustainable Energy Development
- Fundamental components of the energy value chain(s) in O&G, Petrochemicals and Electric Power
- Industry segment fundamentals of O&G, Petrochemicals, and Electric Power including of renewables and storage
- Drivers for renewables and energy storage and key enablers for the integration into the energy mix
- Applications of Techno-Economic Analysis and Life Cycle Analysis in sustainable energy development
- The business drivers of the energy industry and future scenarios
- The requirements of project management for sustainable energy development
- Corporate social responsibility in sustainable energy development
- Technical and Business drivers for investments and decision-making
Credentialing Program Prerequisites
- Rising senior in a bachelor’s degree program or graduate student; business, engineering, or technology preferred.
- Industry professional
Frequently Asked Questions
UH Energy will review your application to ensure that you satisfy the minimum requirements to register. For the Energy Transition Badge, this means that you should either be:
- An industry professional. Priority is given to applicants from within the energy sector, with at least five years of experience
- A student - either in a graduate program, or a rising senior in a bachelor’s degree program. We accept students from a wide range of disciplines, although priority is given to fields such as business, engineering, or technology, which have a clear connection to the energy sector
Micro-credentials are certifications for mastery of specific topic areas or skillsets. To earn a micro-credential, you typically have to complete a certain number of activities, assessments, or projects related to the topic.
Digital badges (or ebadges) are a validated indicator of accomplishment, skill, quality or interest that can be earned in various learning environments. Digital badges are now commonly used as “digital transcripts,” and they can be incorporated in LinkedIn profiles. Many badge earners also display their badges through social media.
Use and Acceptance: Micro-credentials and digital badges are now widely accepted by employers as evidence of competency in specific skills. They have been in use for roughly ten years, notably in the IT arena, where IBM has been a leader. IBM needed to train personnel to support rapidly changing product needs. Rather than using extended training programs, they developed training for minimum skillsets, and deployed this through online media. They awarded micro-credentials to successful candidates, and issued digital badges to certify the awards. Many other companies, large and small, are now using digital credentials, as are many academic institutions, including the University of Houston, and also Harvard, Cambridge, and a large number of other universities.
Students who have registered can withdraw from the course at any time. However, participants need to withdraw two days before start of classes to receive a refund. If you have paid for the Bronze bundle (all three badges) and would like to withdraw after completing a badge, you may do so two days before the start of classes for the next badge to receive a refund for the remaining badges.
Sustainable Energy Development Program Info Session Video
Recording Date: July 9, 2020
Have Questions about the Sustainable Energy Development Program? Join program instructors on Thursday, July 9th from 10:00am - 10:45am to learn more and have your questions answered.
Info Session Slides DOWNLOAD SLIDES