Dr. Arthur Weglein, Hugh Roy and Lillie Cranz Cullen Distinguished University Chair in Physics; Director, Mission-Oriented Seismic Research Program; Professor Dept. of Physics and Dept. of Geosciences, Reflection Seismology
College of Natural Sciences , Department of Earth and Atmospheric SciencesFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Seismic technology for exploration & production of hydrocarbons
- Algorithm development
- Synthetic and field-data testing
- SEG Maurice Ewing Medal 2016
- Certificate of Excellence presented by the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics December 4, 2014.
- Fessenden Award 2010
- Distinguished Townsend Harris Medal of the City College of the City University of New York, 2008 SEG Reginald
- ARCO Upstream Geoscience Conference, May 4–7, 1997, Santa Cruz, California, Outstanding Presentation Award, Weglein A.B.
- ARCO Exploration and Production Technology Technical Innovation Award (1992) Weglein, A.B. and Young C.Y.
- Invitations to address US Congressional Committies (2003, 2004)
More awards on CV below.
- Zou, Y., Ma, C., Weglein, A. “The first inverse-scattering-series internal multiple elimination method for a multidimensional subsurface” 86th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 4550-4554, 2016.
- Zhang, Z., Weglein, A. “2D Green's theorem receiver deghosting in the (x-omega) domain using a depth-variable cable towards on-shore and ocean-bottom application with variable topography” 86th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 4735-4740, 2016.
- Yang, J., Weglein, A. “The impact of prerequisites (ghosts, source wavelet, and radiation pattern) on the inverse scattering series free-surface multiple-elimination algorithm” 86th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 4596-4601, 2016.
- Wu, J., Weglein, A. “Predicting deghosted reflection data for both pressure and multicomponent displacements at the ocean bottom” 86th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 4751-4755, 2016.
- Wu, J., Weglein, A. “Green's theorem-based onshore preprocessing: A reduced data requirement assuming a vacuum/earth model for the air/earth interface and the evaluation of the usefulness of that assumption” 86th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 4685-4689, 2016.
- Weglein, A. B. “A direct inverse method for subsurface properties: the conceptual and practical benefit and added-value in comparison with all current indirect methods, for example, AVO and FWI” Interpretation, 2017. Submitted.
- Weglein, A., Mayhan, J., Zou, Y., Fu, Q., Liu, F., Wu, J., Ma, C., Lin, X., Stolt, R. “The first migration method that is equally effective for all acquired frequencies for imaging and inverting at the target and reservoir” 86th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 4266-4272, 2016.
- Weglein, A. B., Keho, T. H., Secrest, B. G., “Method and apparatus for improved seismic prospecting.” (Wavelet estimation for a multidimensional acoustic or elastic earth) Assignees: Atlantic Richfield Company, B.P. Exploration, Inc., (1993) U.S. Patent No. 5,193, 077.
- Corrigan, D., Weglein, A. B., and Thompson, D. D. “Method and apparatus for seismic survey including using vertical gradient estimation to separate downgoing seismic wavefields.” (Estimation of the vertical gradient of the wavefield from the wavefield and wavelet) Assignee: Atlantic Richfield Co., (1991) U.S. Patent No. 5,051,961.
- Weglein, A. B., and Araujo, F. V., “Method of processing data representing energy passing through a medium” (Internal multiple attenuation in a multidimensional earth) Assignees: Atlantic Richfield Co. and GECO A. S., Filing Date, 13 Oct. 1994 in Great Britain, Patent Application no. GB94/02246, (patent issued 1998) US patent number 5,757,723.
Grants and Funded Research
Mission Oriented Seismic Research Program (M-OSRP)
2001-2005: Sponsor fee: $32,000/year/sponsor
2006-2008: Sponsor fee: $40,000/year/sponsor
- 2009-present: Sponsor fee: $49,700/year/sponsor
- Sponsors: Amerada Hess, Anadarko, BHP Billiton Americas, BP America Production Company, ChevronTexaco, ConocoPhillips, Devon, Encana, ENI AGIP, ExxonMobil Upstream Research, GX Technology Corp., IBM Corp., Petrobras Brazil, PGS Technology, Saudi Aramco, Shell E&P Inc, Statoil Norway, WesternGeco, Unocal Corp., Total, Stochastic Systems
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Award. Seismic Imaging Beneath an Unknown Overburden: Method Development and Evaluation on Synthetic and Real Data. September 1, 2005-August 31, 2007, total funding $101,462.00
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Award. Collaborative Research CMG: Imaging Earth Structure with Elastic Waves by Application of the Inverse Scattering Series. January 2004 - December 2006, total funding $298,068.00
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Advanced Research Program (A.R.P.) Award ($150k) in Earth Sciences for 2002—2003
More research information in research website above, CV below, or ResearchGate profile here.