Dr. Donald VanNieuwenhuise, Director, Petroleum Geoscience Programs Research Associate Professor, Petroleum Geology, Sequence Stratigraphy, Biostratigraphy, and Sedimentology
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics , Department of Earth and Atmospheric SciencesFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Stratigraphy and Biostratigraphy
- Petroleum Geology and Reservoir Characterization
- Terrigenous Clastic Depositional Systems and Sequence Stratigraphy
2015 World Affairs Council of Greater Houston Invited Panelist on Shale Oil Rational Middle Energy
2015 AAPG Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Service as DEG Session Chair 2014
2013 AAPG Public Service Award, Pittsburgh, PA Annual Convention and Exhibition
2013 NABJ Invited Panelist on Shale Oil.
2011 AAPG DEG Forum Chairman: Deepwater Horizon/Macondo Well Oil Spill – Understanding the Impact.
2011 Provost Office Award for UH Oil and Gas Properties Evaluation
2011 HGS General Luncheon, Invited Speaker 2008 HGS International Group, Invited Speaker 2007
GCAGS Thomas A. Philpott Excellence of Presentation Award – Third Place vement Award for the GTE/ABLE – 3A and B Airborne Expeditions, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
More awards in CV below.
- Stephen P. J. Cossey, Don Van Nieuwenhuise, Joseph Davis, Joshua H. Rosenfeld, and James Pindell, 2016. Compelling evidence from eastern Mexico for a Late Paleocene/Early Eocene isolation, drawdown, and refill of the Gulf of Mexico: SEG & AAPG Interpretation, Vol. 4, No. 1, p. 1-18.
- Jingqiu Huang, Don Van Nieuwenhuise, Shuhab Khan, 2015. Integrated fault and hazard analysis in downtown Houston, Texas. GCAGS Journal, Vol. 4, p. 147-154.
- Ricardo Vásquez, Stephen Cossey, Don Van Nieuwenhuise, Joe Davis, John Castagna, Manuel Morales Leal, Ivan Ramos Lopez, 2014. New Insights into the Stratigraphic Framework and Depositional History of the Paleocene and Eocene Chicontepec Formation, Onshore Eastern Mexico, Extended Abstract, 2014 AAPG ACE, Houston, TX, p.
- Hartwig, A., J. Pindell, D. S. Van Nieuwenhuise, and B. Radovich, 2012. UTIG reprocessing and interpretation: Stratigraphic framework and play concepts, Alaminos Canyon, U.S.A., to Bay of Campeche, Mexico: Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, v. 62, p. 163– 178.
- D. S. Van Nieuwenhuise, 2007. Ostracode Biomarkers in the Paleogene of the Gulf of Mexico. Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, Volume 57, p. 747-755.
- Banga, T., Regina M. Capuana, and Donald S. Van Nieuwenhuise, 2002. Fluid flow, stratigraphy and structure in the vicinity of South Liberty Salt Dome, Texas. Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, Volume 52, p. 25-36.
- D. S. Van Nieuwenhuise and A. R. Ormiston, 1989. A model for the origin of source-rich lacustrine facies, San Jorge Basin, Argentina. Primier Congreso Nacional de Exploracian de Hidrocoaburos, Tomo II, p. 853-883.
- He Jun-De, D. S. Van Nieuwenhuise, and F. M. Swain, 1988. Biostratigraphy of Paleogene Nonmarine Ostracoda from East China, in Evolutionary Biology of Ostracodes, N. Ikeya (ed.), IX International Symposium on Ostracoda, Shizuoka, Japan, p. 1153-1161, Elsevier, New York.
- D. J. Colquhoun, I. Woollen, D. S. Van Nieuwenhuise, G. G. Padgett, R. W. Oldham, D. C. Boylan, J. W. Bishop, and P.D. Howell, 1983. Surface and subsurface stratigraphy, structure and aquifers of the South Carolina Coastal Plain; Governor’s Office, Columbia, South Carolina, 78p. Over-sized Book.
For more publications, see CV below.
Grants and Funded Research
- New Biostratigraphic Markers for Onshore Paleogene Reservoir Identification and Characterization - Supplemental Grant, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, ATP, 5/31/05 through 7/26/2005, D.S. Van Nieuwenhuise Principal Investigator. Support of Renee Gjere, Thurogood Marshall High School.
- New Biostratigraphic Markers for Onshore Paleogene Reservoir Identification and Characterization - Supplemental Grant, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board ATP, 5/31/04 through 7/16/2004, D.S. Van Nieuwenhuise Principal Investigator. Support of Renee Gjere, Taylor High School.
- New Biostratigraphic Markers for Onshore Paleogene Reservoir Identification and Characterization, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, ATP, 1/1/04 through 12/31/2005, D.S. Van Nieuwenhuise Principal Investigator. With Renee Gjere, Sarah Jacobson, and Yomi Oyedele.
- 2006 Supplemental Summer Grant for High School Science Teacher, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board – Advanced Technology Program
- 2005 Supplemental Summer Grant for High School Science Teacher, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board – Advanced Technology Program
- 2004 Supplemental Summer Grant for High School Science Teacher, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board – Advanced Technology Program
- 1978 Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Grant, Southern Regional Education Board.
- 1976 Amoco Foundation Grant for Dissertation Support.
- 1977 Project Grant, South Carolina Geological Survey.
For more research information, see faculty website above, CV below, or visit researchgate profile here.