Dr. Gangbing Song, John and Rebecca Moores Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering , Department of Mechanical EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Smart materials and structures
- Adaptive control
- Robust control
- General Chair, ASCE Earth and Space conference, 2010
Outstanding Technical Contribution Award, Aerospace Division of ASCE in 2008.
Best Paper Award, as a co-author, in the Intelligent Sensor and Actuator Symposium at the Earth and Space’08 conferenceNSF (USA)
CAREER Award, 2001
America Science and Engineering Who’s Who, 1999.
Naval Special Act Award, 1998.
- Huang, Qing; Xu, Bin; Li, Bing; Song, Gangbing and Teng, Jun. Monitoring for large cross-section CFSTs of a super high-rise building with piezoceramic actuators and sensors, Advanced Materials Research, 2011,v 163-167, p 2553-2559, (SCI, EI)
- Chang, Christiana; Gu, Haichang; Liang, Fei; Gou, Jihua; Sun, Li; Song, Gangbing, Damping characterization and analysis of carbon nanofiber modified composite laminates, Journal of Advanced Materials, 2011, v 43, n 1, p 22-29 (SCI,EI)
- Zhao, Xiukuan; Li, Min; Song, Gangbing; Xu, Jinwu, “Hierarchical ensemble-based data fusion for structural health monitoring”, Smart Materials and Structures, v 19, n 4, April, 2010. (SCI, EI)
- Cui, Di; Song, Gangbing; Li, Hongnan, “Modeling of the electrical resistance of shape memory alloy wires”, Smart Materials and Structures, v 19, n 5, May, 2010. (SCI, EI)
- Li, Peng, Gu, Haichang, Song, Gangbing, Zheng, Rong, and Mo, Y. L. “Concrete structural health monitoring using piezoceramic-based wireless sensor networks,” Smart Structures and Systems, v. 6, n 5-6, p731-748, May-June, 2010. (SCI, EI)
- Gu, Haichang ; Moslehy, Yashar; Sanders, David; Song, Gangbing; Mo, Y.L. Multifunctional smart aggregate-based structural health monitoring of circular reinforced concrete columns subjected to seismic excitations, Smart Materials and Structures, v 19, n 6, June, 2010. (SCI, EI)
- Moslehy, Yashar ; Gu, Haichang; Belarbi, Abdeldjelil; Mo, Y.L.; Song, Gangbing, Smart aggregate based damage detection of circular RC columns under cyclic combined loading, Smart Materials and Structures, v 19, n 6, June, 2010. (SCI, EI)
- Lu, Zhao; Liang, Lily Rui; Song, Gangbing; Wang, Shufang, Polychotomous kernel Fisher discriminant via topdown induction of binary tree, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, v 60, n 3, p 511-519, August 2010. (SCI, EI)
- Zheng, Rong; Vu, Khuong; Pendharkar, Amit; Song, Gangbing, Obstacle discovery in distributed actuator and sensor networks, ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, v 7, n 3, September 2010. (SCI, EI)
- Wu, Jian; Singla, Mithun; Olmi, Claudio; Shieh, Leang S.; Song, Gangbing, Digital controller design for absolute value function constrained nonlinear systems via scalar sign function approach, ISA Transactions, v 49, n 3, p 302-310, July 2010. (SCI, EI)
For more publications, see research website above, CV below, or visit google scholar page here.
- Co-inventor, US Patent No.:5,810,716 – “Articulated Mini-manipulator for Minimally Invasive Surgery,” Sept. 22, 1998.
- Co-inventor, US Patent No.:7,587,899 B2 -“Shape memory alloy actuated adaptive exhaust nozzle for jet engineering,” issue date: Sept. 15, 2009.
- Co-inventor, No. 7, 796, 843, “Design and Performance of Fiber Bragg Grating Displacement Sensor for Measurement of Movement,” issue date: Sept. 14, 2010.
Grants and Funded Research
- “Innovative Multi-functional Structural Health Monitoring System for Wind Turbine Blade,” $197,000, The State of Texas Norman Hackerman Advanced Research Program (NHARP), 2010-2012.
- “Automatic Electrical De-icing System using Emerging Carbon Nano-fiber Paper: a Pilot Field Testing,” $50,000, Alaska University Transportation Center, 2010- 2011.
- “Continued support for Innovative research of active materials for oil and gas exploration,” Total: $37,000, Cameron, 2010.
- “A Pilot Study of an FBG sensor System for Continuous Force Measurement,” Total: $13,000, Texas Heart Institute, 2010.
- “A Career Plan for Research and Education in Smart Materials and Structures,” a CAREER Award, $395,000, National Science Foundation, 2001-2007.
- “Collaborative Research: Development of Multifunctional Nanocomposites with Engineered Carbon Nanopaper,” $100,000 (UH) (Dr. Song is the sole PI at University of Houston), National Science Foundation, 2006-2009.
- “Proposal and Justification for Additional Labor Cost to Build and Deliver Two Testing Equipment for OptiSolar,” $39,900, OptiSolar, 2008-2009.
- “A fellowship for research in intelligent sensors for hear assist devices” at University of Houston”, $21,000, University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), 2007-2008.
- “International Research and Education in Engineering (IREE) Supplementary Funding: Study of interlayer behavior of the nanocomposites using fiber optical sensor in collaboration with Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), China”, Total: $27,900, National Science Foundation, 2007-2008 .
More research information in CV below.