Dr. Ognjen Miljanic, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Department of Mechanical EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Energy and sustainability
- Nanospace engineering
- Metallocenic scafolds for catalysis and sensing
- Supramolecular and synthetic chemistry
- 2016 Honorary Membership, Israel Chemical Society 2014
- UH John C. Butler Teaching Excellence Award 2014
- UH Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship 2013
- Cottrell Scholar Award, Research Corporation for Science Advancement Featured in Physics Today and Chemical & Engineering News. 2013
- Early Excellence Profile—Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry 2012
- UH Teaching Excellence Award 2012
- NSF CAREER Award 2011
- Thieme Chemistry Journal Award 2010
- ACS Greater Houston Section Younger Chemist of the Year Award 2008
- Postdoctoral Research Excellence Award—UCLA 2004
- Graduate Division Travel Award—University of California, Berkeley 2000
- Best Chemistry Student Award—Office of the Rector, University of Belgrade 2000
- Student of the Generation Award—University of Belgrade 2000
- DAAD Summer Exchange Fellow—University of Leipzig, Germany 1999–2000
- Serbian Academy of Arts and Sciences Fellow 1999
- Serbian Government's Foundation for the Development of Science Fellow 1998–1999
- Ministry of Education of the Republic of Serbia Fellow
- Miljanić, O. Š.* “The Bubble That Won’t Burst: Subprime Crisis in the US Higher Education,” Chronicle of Higher Education, submitted on 02/06/2017.
- Zhang, Z.; Hashim, M. I.; Miljanić, O. Š.* “Aggregation-induced Emission in Precursors to Porous Molecular Crystals,” Chem. Commun. submitted on 05/16/2017.
- Hahn, S.; Alrayyani, M.; Sontheim, A.; Wang, X.; Rominger, F.; Miljanić, O. Š.*; Bunz, U. H. F.* ”Synthesis and Characterization of Heterobenzenacyclooctaphanes Derived from Cyclotetrabenzoin,” Chem. Eur. J. 2017, accepted, doi: 10.1002/chem.201701125. Cover page of Chemistry—A European Journal.
- Miljanić, O. Š.* “Small-Molecule Systems Chemistry,” Chem 2017, 2, 502–524. 66. Chen, T.-H.*; Popov, I.; Miljanić, O. Š.* “Zirconium Macrocyclic Metal-Organic Framework with Predesigned Shape-Persistent Apertures,” Chem. Eur. J. 2017, 23, 286–290.
- Hsu, C.-W.; Miljanić, O. Š.* “Kinetically Controlled Simplification of a Multiresponsive [10×10] Dynamic Imine Library,” Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 12357–12359.
- Hashim, M. I.; Hsu, C.-W.; Le, H. T. M.; Miljanić, O. Š.* “Organic Compounds with Porous Crystal Structures,” Synlett 2016, 27, 1907–1918.
- Hsu, C.-W.; Miljanić, O. Š.* “Self-Sorting through Dynamic Covalent Chemistry,” in Dynamic Covalent Chemistry: Principles, Reactions, and Applications, (Ed.: Zhang, W.), Wiley, 2017.
- Ji, Q.; Le, H. T. M.; Wang, X.; Chen, Y.-S.; Makarenko, T.; Jacobson, A. J.; Miljanić, O. Š.* “Cyclotetrabenzoin: Facile Synthesis of a Shape-Persistent Molecular Square and Its Assembly into Hydrogen-Bonded Nanotubes,” Chem. Eur. J. 2015, 21, 17205–17209.
- Chen, T.-H.; Popov, I.; Kaveevivitchai, W.; Chuang, Y.-C.; Chen, Y.-S.; Jacobson, A. J.; Miljanić, O. Š.* “Mesoporous Fluorinated Metal-Organic Frameworks with Exceptional Adsorption of Fluorocarbons and CFCs,” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 13902–13906. Selected as a Hot Paper
More publications in CV below.
- Miljanić, O. Š.; Ji, Q. “Cyclobenzoins,” US Application No. 62/135,931, filed on March 20, 2015.
- Miljanić, O. Š.; Chen, T.-H.; Kaveevivitchai, W. “Adsorption of Fluorinated Anesthetics Within the Pores of Molecular Crystals,” US Application No. 62/090,494, filed on December 11, 2014.
- Miljanić, O. Š.; Chen, T.-H.; Popov, I.; Kaveevivitchai, W.; Daugulis, O. “Thermally Robust, Highly Porous, and Partially Fluorinated Organic Framework With Exceptional Affinity For Hydrocarbons, Fluorocarbons and Freons,” US Application No. 61/994,482, filed on May 16, 2014.
- Ji, Q.; Miljanić, O. Š. “Iterative Reactive Distillation of Dynamic Ester Libraries,” US Application No. 61/836,350, filed on June 18, 2013.
- Yaghi, O. M.; Stoddart, J. F.; Li, Q.; Miljanić, O. Š.; Zhang, W. “Chemical framework composition and methods of use,” US 20110137025 A1; International patent: WO2009149381A3.
Grants and Funded Research
- PI: Stanko R. Branković, co-PIs: Ognjen Š. Miljanić, Lars C. Grabow “Monolayer Catalyst as Transformative Concept for Efficient Electrolytic Hydrogen Isotope Separation” Sponsor: National Science Foundation CBET Amount: $388,526 ($92,818 to Miljanić) Funding period: 09/01/2016–08/31/2019
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić, co-PI: Olafs Daugulis “Porous Molecular Crystals and Metal-Organic Frameworks Based on Fluorinated Pyrazoles” Sponsor: National Science Foundation DMR Amount: $450,000 ($227,393 to Miljanić) Funding period: 06/01/2015–05/31/2018
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić, 5 other co-PIs “3D MoChI: Three-Dimensional Printed Models for Chemistry Instruction” Sponsor: Research Corporation for Science Advancement, Cottrell Scholar Award Amount: $25,000 Funding period: 09/01/2014–08/31/2016
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić “Lessons from Nature: Compartmentalization, Reaction Discovery, and Parallel Synthesis in Kinetically SelfSorting Libraries” Sponsor: Research Corporation for Science Advancement, Cottrell Scholar Award Amount: $75,000 Funding period: 06/01/2013–05/31/2016
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić. “CAREER: Kinetic Self-Sorting of Dynamic Combinatorial Libraries” Sponsor: National Science Foundation CHE Amount: $600,000 Funding period: 06/01/2012–05/31/2017
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić “Control of Interpenetration in Metal-Organic Frameworks via Spatial Protecting Groups” Sponsor: Petroleum Research Fund Doctoral New Investigator Program (PRF-DNI) Amount: $100,000 Funding period: 08/01/2010–08/31/2012
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić “Robust Porosity in Molecular Crystals” Sponsor: Robert A. Welch Foundation Amount: $240,000 Funding period: 06/01/2017–05/31/2020
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić “Shape-Persistent Fluorophores Based on Benzimidazoles and Tetrasubstituted Silanes” Sponsor: Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Texas Research Incentive Program (TRIP) Amount: $72,890
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić “Shape-Persistent Fluorophores Based on Benzimidazoles and Tetrasubstituted Silanes” Sponsor: Robert A. Welch Foundation Amount: $180,000 Funding period: 06/01/2014–05/31/2017
- PI: Ognjen Š. Miljanić “Conjugated Benzobisoxazole Cruciforms as Fluorescent Sensors in Solution and Solid State” Sponsor: Robert A. Welch Foundation Amount: $170,000 Funding period: 06/01/2011–05/31/2014
More grants in CV below.