Dr. Catherine Horn, Department Chair & Executive Director, Institute for Educational Policy Research and Evaluation and Director CREATE
College of Education, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Areas of expertise
- Research use
- Quantitative methods
- Systemic barriers to college access for traditionally underrepresented students
- K-12 high stakes testing
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile, March-July, 2012
- Faculty in Residence University of Houston, 2010-present
- Selected Participant, Quasi-experimental Design and Analysis Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. June, 2006
- Texas Institute for Measurement, Evaluation and Statistics Member Houston, Texas. 2005-present
- Boisi Fellow in Education and Public Policy, Boston College School of Education Boston, Massachusetts. 1998 to June, 2000
- Baker Fellow, Rice University Houston, Texas. 1994 Macintosh Award Winner, Rice University Houston, Texas. 1994
- Marin, P., & Horn, C. L. (Eds.). (2008). Realizing Bakke’s legacy: Affirmative action, equal opportunity, and access to higher education. VA: Stylus.
- Gandara, P., Orfield, G., & Horn, C. (Eds.). (2006). Expanding opportunity in higher education: Leveraging promise. New York: State University of New York Press.
- Orfield, G., Marin, P., & Horn, C. (Eds.). (2005). Higher education and the color line: College access, racial equity, and social change. Cambridge: Harvard Educational Press Group.
- Crisp, G., Horn, C., Dizinno, G., & Barlow, E. (Accepted for 15(3) Nov. 2013). Does receipt of automatic admission affect likelihood of withdrawal?: A comparative study of two emergent research institutions. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice.
- Horn, C. (2012). Percent plan admissions: Their strengths and challenges in furthering an equity agenda. Pensamiento Educativo: Revista de Investigacion Educacional Latinoamericana, 49(2), 31-45. Retrieved December 4, 2012, from http://pensamientoeducativo.uc.cl/index.php/pel
- Horn, C., & Flores, S. (2012). When policy opportunity is not enough: Access and enrollment patterns among Texas percent plan eligible students. Journal of Applied Research on Children: Informing Policy for Children at Risk 3(2), article 9.
- Crisp, G., Horn, C., (2010). Modeling the racial and ethnic implications of admissions policy changes in the pursuit of tier one status. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, 3(2), 71-84.
- Flores, S., & Horn, C. (2009-2010). College persistence among undocumented students at a selective public university: A quantitative case study analysis. The Journal of College Student Retention, 11, 57-76.
- Horn, C., McCoy, Z., Brock, C., & Campbell, L. (2009). Remedial testing and placement in community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 33,1–16.
- Horn, C., Plazas Snyder, B., Coverdale, J., Louie, A., & Roberts, L. W. (2009). Educational research questions and study design. Academic Psychiatry, 33(3), 261- 267.
More publications available in CV below.
- None available.
Grants and Funded Research
- None available.