Dr. Karolos Grigoriadis, Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Director of Aerospace Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Department of Mechanical EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Dynamic systems and controls
- Feedback control systems analysis and design
- Modeling and control of aerospace systems
- Automotive engine diagnostics/controls
- Abraham E. Dukler Distinguished Engineering Faculty Award, Engineering Alumni Assoc., University of Houston, 2011.
- Senior Faculty Research Excellence Award, Cullen College of Engineering, University of Houston, 2009
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Cullen College of Engineering, University of Houston, 2009
- Award for Outstanding Contribution, International Association for Science and Technology for Development, 2008
- General Chair, 11th International Conference on Intelligent System and Control (ISC 2008), Orlando, Florida, Nov. 2008.
- ASME Professor of the Year, University of Houston, 2007 Director and Principal Investigator, Texas Workforce Commission Aerospace Workforce Innovation Network (AWIN), 2007-2009.
- Director and Principal Investigator, NSF STEM Center at UH Accelerated B.S. to Graduate (FastGrad) Program in Engineering, 2007-2012.
- Invited External Dissertation Committee Member, Loughborough University, U.K., 2007
- General Conference Chair, 4th International Conference on Control and Signal Processing, Miami, Florida, Nov. 2005.
- UH/Boeing Fellowship Program Director: In collaboration with Boeing Company initiated a fellowship program where under Boeing sponsorship NATO countries send students to UH for advanced degrees in Aerospace Engineering
- Invited Speaker and Participant, International Workshop on New Directions in the Modeling and Control of Complex Systems, Agia Napa, Cyprus, June 2005. Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2004.
More awards and accomplishments in CV below.
Mohammadpour, J. and Grigoriadis, K.M.,, Efficient Modeling and Control of LargeScale Systems, Springer-Verlag, 2010.
Kapila, V., and Grigoriadis, K. M. (eds), Actuator Saturation Control, Marcel Dekker, New York, 2003.
Skelton, R., E., Iwasaki, T., and Grigoriadis, K. M., A Unified Algebraic Approach to Linear Control Design, Taylor & Francis, 1998.
- Mohammadpour, J., and Grigoriadis, K.M., “Stability and Performance Analysis of Time-Delayed LPV Systems with brief Instability, “ International Journal or Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 21, No. 8, pp.863-882, 2011.
- Kilicarslan, A, Song, G., and Grigoriadis, K. M., “Modeling and Hysteresis Compensation in a Thin SMA Wire Using ANFIS Methods,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures ,Vol. 22, No 1, pp. 45-57, 2011
- Shirazi, F.A., Velni, J.M., and Grigoriadis, K.M., “ An LPV Design Approach for Voltage Control of an Electrostatic MEMS Actuator,” ournal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 3012-311, 2011.
- Mohammadpour, J., Grigoriadis, K.M, Franchek, M., and Zwissler, B., “Real-Time Diagnostics of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation in Diesel Engines Using Least Squares Parameter Estimation,” ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 132, No. 1, pp. 82-90, 2010.
- Meisami-Azad, M., Mohammadpour, J. and Grigoriadis, K. M., “Dissipative analysis and control of state-space symmetric systems,” Automatica, Volume 45, No. 6, June pp. 1574-1579, 2009
- Mehendale, C.S., Fialho, I. J., and Grigoriadis, K. M., “A Linear Parameter-varying Framework for Adaptive Active Microgravity Isolation,” Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol: 15, No: 5, pp. 773-800, 2009.
- Meisami-Azad, M., Mohammadpour-Velni, J., and Grigoriadis, K. M., “Explicit Solutions for Collocated Structural Control with Guaranteed H2 norm Performance Specifications,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 213-222, 2009.
- Zhang F, Grigoriadis, K. M, and Fialho I. J., “Linear Parameter-varying Control for Active Vibration Isolation Systems with Stiffness Hysteresis,” Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 15, No: 4, pp. 527-547, 2009
- Hiramoto, K., and Grigoriadis, K. M., “Upper Bound Control of Collocated Mechanical Systems,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Vol 16, No. 4, pp. 425-440, 2009.
More publications available on CV below.
- None available.
Grants and Funded Research
- $146,000 in ARP funding for “Diesel Engine Optimization and Control Adaptation for Biofuel Usage.” , 2008.
- $200,000 from NSF to further their research on computational models and algorithms to optimize engine performance to improve fuel efficiency and emissions.
- $1.4 million grant to undertake activities designed to provide cutting-edge continuing-education resources in aerospace engineering and train the regional aerospace workforce.