Dr. Lu Gao, Associate Professor of Construction Management, Director of Transportation Infrastructure Management System Lab
Department of Construction Management, College of TechnologyFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Civil infrastructure management
- Transportation system analysis
- Pavement maintenance and rehabilitation
- Construction safety
Baker Hughes/Fluor Faculty Research Excellence Award (2014), University of Houston
Graduate School Fellowship, 2010, The University of Texas at Austin
Road Scholar Fellowship, 2011, International Road Federation (IRF)
Best Paper Award, 2010, 6th Annual Inter-University Symposium on Infrastructure Management (AISIM6)
Robert Herman Endowed Scholarship, 2009, The University of Texas at Austin
Tan Qin Tuan Scholarship, 2004, Singapore Government
- Dhatrak, O. and Gao, L. Modeling Economy of Scale in Maintenance Planning of Civil Infrastructure Networks, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, under review.
- Saldarriaga, D., You, B., Gao, L., Qiao, F., and Li, Q. Evaluation of Transportation and Economic Impact of Short Line Railroads in Texas, Journal of Transportation Research Record, under review.
- Gao, L. and Hong, F. Impacts of Seasonal and Annual Weather Variations on Network-Level Pavement Performance, Journal of International Pavement Engineering, under review.
- Gao, L., Yao, Y., and Liang, W. (2016). Public Transit Customer Satisfaction Dimensions Discovery from Online Reviews, Urban Rail Transit, doi:10.1007/s40864-016-0042-0.
- Zhang, Z. and Gao, L. (2016). A Nested Modeling Approach to Infrastructure Performance Characterization, International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 1-7. doi:10.1080/10298436.2016.1172712 2 6. Gao, L. and Webb, C. (2016). Schedule Compression Impact on Construction Project Safety, Frontiers of Engineering Management, 2(4), 344-350. doi:10.15302/J-FEM-2015059
- Gao, L., Smit, A., Prozzi, J., Buddhavarapu, P., Murhpy, M. and Song, L. (2015). Milled Pavement Texturing to Optimize Skid Improvements, Construction and Building Materials, 101(1), 602-610. doi:10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.10.077
- Wu, H., Gao, L. and Zhang, Z. (2014). Analysis of Crash Data Using Quantile Regression for Counts, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, 140(4). doi:10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000650
- Gao, L., and Eldin, N. (2014). Employers’ Expectations: A Probabilistic Text Mining Model. Procedia Engineering, 85, 175-182. doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2014.10.542
- Gao, L., and Zhang, Z. (2013). Management of pavement maintenance, rehabilitation, and reconstruction through network partition. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (2366), 59-63. doi:10.3141/2366-07.
For more publications, see CV below.
- Not available.
Grants and Funded Research
- Principal Investigator, ”Synthesis of Service Life Prediction for Bridges in Texas”, Texas Department of Transportation, TxDOT 17-146, $59,705. 9/2016 to 8/2017.
- Co-Principal Investigator, ”Investigating the Security of TxDOT’s Traffic Signal Systems”, Texas Department of Transportation, TxDOT 17-117, $173,800. 9/2016 to 8/2018.
- Principal Investigator, ”Transportation and Economic Impact of Texas Shortline Railroads”, Texas Department of Transportation, TxDOT 0-6887, $297,252. 9/2015 to 9/2016.
- Principal Investigator, ”Study of Short Term Skid Improvements by Light Texturing with a Milling Machine”, Texas Department of Transportation, TxDOT 0-6752, $297,468. 9/2012 - 9/2014. • Principal Investigator, ”Manage the Transportation System”, Texas Department of Transportation, TxDOT 6-0701, 2012, $75,000. 1/2012 to 8/2012.