Dr. Margaret Cheung, Associate Professor
Department of Physics, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Areas of expertise
- Theoretical biological physics
- Multiphysics modeling of proteins
- Design of organic photovoltaic materials
- University of Houston Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship (Associate Professor), 2016
- University of Houston Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship (Assistant Professor), 2012
- Robert S. Hyer Research Award, 2010
- P. Zhang, S. Tripathi, H. Trinh, M. S. Cheung, "Opposing intermolecular tuning of Ca2+ affinity for calmoduin by Neurogranin and CaMKII peptides", Biophysical Journal 112, 1105–1119 (2017)
- M. S. Cheung, "Protein structure, stability and folding in the cell, an in silio biophysical approaches" submitted.
- O.N. Starovoytov, P. Zhang, P. Cieplak, M.S. Cheung, "Induced Polarization Restricts Conformational Distribution of a Light-Harvesting Molecular Triad in the Ground State" (2017) accepted to PCCP.
- G. Su, A. Czader, D. Homouz, G. Bernardes, S. Mateen, M.S.Cheung, "Multiscale simulation on a light-harvesting molecular triad", J. Phys. Chem. B. 116, 8460–8473 (2012). Special issue on Macromolecular Systems Understood through Multiscale and Enhanced Sampling Techniques. DOI: 10.1021/jp212273n
- Q. Wang, M.S.Cheung, “A physics-based approach of coarse-graining the cytoplasm of E. coli (CGCYTO)”. Biophys. J. 102. 2353-2361 (2012).
- A. Kudlay, M. S. Cheung, D. Thirumalai, "Influence of the Shape of Crowding Particles on the Structural Transitions in a Polymer", J. Phys. Chem. B. 116, 8513–8522 (2012). Special issue on Macromolecular Systems Understood through Multiscale and Enhanced Sampling Techniques.
- E. Chen, A. Christiansen, Q. Wang, M.S.Cheung, D.S. Kliger, P. Wittung-Stafshede, "Crowd control and the effects of macromolecular crowding on burst phase kinetics of cytochrome c folding", Biochemistry 51, 9836-9845 (2012)
- A. Christiansen, Q. Wang, M. S. Cheung, P. Wittung-Stafshede, "Macromolecular crowding effects on protein folding in vitro and in silico", Biophysical Reviews 5 137-145 (2013).
- D. Balamurugan, A. J. A. Aquino, F. De Dios, L. Flores Jr., H. Lischka, M. S. Cheung, "Multiscale simulation of the ground and photo-induced charge-separated states of molecular triad in polar organic solvent: exploring the conformations, fluctuations and the free energy landscapes", Journal of Physical Chemistry, B, 117, 12065-12075 (2013).
- S. Tripathi, Q. Wang, P. Zhang, L. Hoffman, M.N. Waxham, M. S. Cheung, "Conformational frustration in calmodulin-target recognition", Journal of Molecular Recognition 28, 74-86 (2015).
Contact information629C Science and Research Building 1Phone: 713-743-8358