Dr. Yashashree Kulkarni, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Areas of expertise
- Nanostructured materials
- Computational mechanics
- Materials science
- Twin boundaries
- ASME Sia Nemat-Nasser Early Career Award, 2017
Outstanding Teacher Award, UH, 2012.
Bill D. Cook Faculty Scholarship, UH, 2012.
DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2010.
Charles D. Babcock Teaching Assistant Award, Caltech, 2005.
Robert T. Knapp fellowship, Caltech, 2001-2002.
Institute Silver Medal, I.I.T. Bombay, 2001.
- Chen, and Y. Kulkarni, Thermal Fluctuations as a Computational Microscope for Studying Crystalline Interfaces: A Mechanistic Perspective, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Accepted (2017). (pdf)
- D. Chen, and Y. Kulkarni, Effect of impurities on grain boundary motion from interface random walk, In Review (2017).
- F. Hammami and Y. Kulkarni, Rate dependence of grain boundary sliding via time-scaling atomistic simulations, Journal of Applied Physics, 121, 085303 (2017). (pdf)
- S. Jiao, and Y. Kulkarni, Molecular dynamics study of creep mechanisms in nanotwinned metals, Computational Materials Science, 110, 254 (2015). (pdf)
- D. Chen, and Y. Kulkarni, Entropic interaction between fluctuating twin boundaries, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 84, 59 (2015). (pdf)
- D. Chen, and Y. Kulkarni, Atomistic study of the thermal stress due to twin boundaries, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 82, 021005 (2015). (pdf)
- T. Sinha, and Y. Kulkarni, Alternating brittle and ductile response of twin boundaries in nanotwinned structures, Journal of Applied Physics, 116, 183505 (2014). (pdf)
- F. Hammami, and Y. Kulkarni, Size effects in twinned nanopillars, Journal of Applied Physics, 116, 033512 (2014). (pdf)
- S. Tang, and Y. Kulkarni, The interplay between strain and size effects on the thermal conductance of grain boundaries in graphene, Applied Physics Letters, 103, 213113 (2013). (pdf)
- D. Chen, and Y. Kulkarni, Elucidating the kinetics of twin boundaries from thermal fluctuations, MRS Communications, 3, 241 (2013). (pdf)
For more publications, see here.
Grants and Funded Research
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, $ 226,358 (2010–2012), PI: Kulkarni, 100%
- NSF, $ 349,867 (2010–2013), PI: Kulkarni, 60%
- GEAR, University of Houston, $ 25,000 (2010–2011), PI: Kulkarni, 100%
- New Faculty Award, University of Houston, $ 6,000 (2010), PI: Kulkarni, 100%
- TcSUH (Texas Center for Superconductivity University of Houston), $15,000 (2009-2010), PI: Kulkarni, 100%