Here are tips for posting a job in Cougar Pathway, and for getting your job approved more quickly.
- A specific contact person should be listed in place of “Contact,” “Human Resources,” etc.
- Check all applicable options that are a fit for the position.
- Should be an appropriate working title that is descriptive to the job
- An example of a vague title could be Office Help Needed – instead, Office Assistant, Secretary, Clerk, etc.
- The title should not include headers, attention, or action titles as this information could be added to the job description; for example: “Excellent opportunity,” “Experience with Java and other technologies”
- Include information about your company in no more than one or two brief paragraphs. Note: The entire job description should not consist of company information only.
- The job title and job type should match for example if the position is an internship, select the Internship Job Type.
- Job descriptions should list at least five to ten duties and responsibilities. This information is important in providing candidates with enough information to decide whether or not to apply for the position.
- To make the job description easier to read, include bullets to highlight the responsibilities and duties.
- Email: Resumes will be emailed to the address you specify,
A company email address is preferred.
If you need to use a different email address such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, etc., we recommend selecting the “Accumulate Online” Resume Receipt option.
- Accumulate Online: Resumes will be submitted to Cougar Pathway and you can view them through your posting.
- Other: A How to Apply text box will appear, and you can enter instructions such as applying through your website. Include the following information: company contact name, phone, email, and deadline for accepting resumes.
Posting Date and Expiration Date
- Positions posted in Cougar Pathway can be posted up to 30 days at a time. The posting expiration can be extended or the position can be closed at any time.
- If you would like to have a resume packet generated when the job expires, select Yes for the “Automatic Application Packet Generation” option.
Include qualifications and skills such as:
- Degree level and majors
- Number of years of experience and type of experience
- Soft skills such as excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Should have an interest in __ (depending on the job)
- Preferred GPA if applicable
- Salary should be comparable to the job title/description
Acceptable salary indications:
- An hourly, weekly, and monthly salary or salary range
- Based salary or Depending on Experience, Entry-Level
- Stipend and expenses such as housing, meals, and mileage are acceptable
Unacceptable salary indications:
- N/A, competitive, flexible, market, commensurate, varies, subsidy, equity, intern, TBD, etc.
- If “unpaid” is indicated under the Salary field, you must include the intern will work under the close supervision of existing staff members. This can be a specific person’s name or position title. See number three of the U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division’s Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act.
- If college, class, semester, academic, or course credit are indicated in the salary field, UCS will add the following disclaimer to the job description.
*Please note: This employer is offering course credit. In order to receive course credit for this position, you must get approval from an authorized faculty member in your academic department.
- NACE Position Statement Regarding Unpaid Internships
- NACE Salary Survey Resources
- Address including city and state for all locations where the position may be.
- If there will be several locations around the country, select “Yes” for Nationwide.