Master of Science in Information System Security
The following is a list of courses required of all students pursuing the Master of Science Information System Security. For a complete description of these courses, visit the University of Houston Graduate Catalog.
Please note this document is accurate for those who enrolled during the Fall 2017 semester. If you are unsure about which degree plan you are on, please check with your faculty advisor.
Complete your degree in 30 hours. See the recommended two-year course sequence.
Required Courses (21 hours):
- TEPM 6301 - Project Management Principles
- CIS 6321 - Introduction to Information System Security
- CIS 6322 - Secure Enterprise Computing
- CIS 6323 - Cryptography & Information System Security
- CIS 6324 - Information System Security Risk Analysis
- CIS 6325 - Network Security
- CIS 6326 - Cybersecurity Strategy and Policy
Prescribed Electives Options (9 hours):
- 3 Advisor Approved Electives (9 hours) -or-
- 2 Advisor Approved Electives (6 hours) + *Thesis or Project Track (3 hours)
Electives must be approved by the graduate faculty advisor prior to enrollment.
- CIS 6337 - Digital Forensics - Prerequisite: CIS 6321 or consent of graduate advisor.
- CIS 6347 - Advanced Digital Forensics - Prerequisite: CIS 6337.
- CIS 6355 - Application of Expert Systems - Prerequisite: Graduate standing & consent of instructor.
- CIS 6357 - Controls Systems Security - Prerequisite: CIS 6321
- CIS 6358 - Secure Software Design - Prerequisite: CIS 6321
- CIS 6359 - Penetration Testing - Prerequisite: CIS 6321, CIS 6322, CIS 6323
- CIS 6380 - Strategic Plan for Suprv - Prerequisite: Graduate standing and consent of instructor
- CIS 6390 - Current Topics in Information Security - Prerequisite: Graduate standing and consent of instructor.
- CIS 6391 - Information Systems Security Management Seminar - Prerequisite: TEPM 6301, CIS 6321, CIS 6322, and CIS 6323
- CIS 6396 - Internship in Information Security - Prerequisite: At least 12 hours in the MS/ISS program and prior written approval of the graduate faculty advisor.
- CIS 6397 - Special Topics
- CIS 6398 - Special Problems
Please Consider When Choosing Electives
- Students are responsible for ensuring that they meet all course pre-requisites prior to enrollment. Failure to meet course requirements may result in students being dropped from courses without a refund.
- To request credit for an elective that is not on the pre-approved list, please complete a Graduate Petition.