Academic Advising - Department of Engineering Technology - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Academic Advising

How to Contact Your Advisor

Undergraduate Students
(all students except honor students, student athletes and UH Sugar Land students)

Carlos Gonzalez
Engineering Technology
Office Location: 380 T2
Phone: 713-743-0549
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

Kirk Petrash
Engineering Technology
Office Location: 381 T2
Phone: 713-743-7498
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

Graduate Students

Dawn Wolf-Taylor
Engineering Technology
Office Location: 326 T2
Phone: 713-743-4040
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

College of Technology Office of Student Affairs

Honor Students and Student Athletes

Carlo Deason
Phone: 713-743-4060
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

First Year Experience Undergraduate Advising

Kevin Nguyen
Phone: 713-743-1334
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

UH Sugar Land Undergraduate Advising

Peter Weber
Phone: 713-743-4316
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

Career Counseling

Lawren Bradberry
Phone: 832-842-6190
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

Christal Pradia
Phone: 713-743-0682
Walk-in Hours: Appointment Only

Appointment or Walk-in?

Academic Advisors can meet with students by appointment or during walk-in hours. Please note that walk-in advising is reserved for brief questions and advising issues that can be resolved quickly. We encourage you to make an appointment if your advising concern deals with issues such as graduation checks, long term academic planning, academic probation advising, or any issues that require a lengthier discussion.

Using Navigate to Schedule Appointments

We encourage you to schedule your advising appointment online using Navigate.


Preparation for Advising Appointments

If your advising appointment concerns degree planning or graduation checks, students are expected to bring the course sequence chart for their major with the courses already completed marked with an "X". Also, indicate when you plan to take the remainder of courses on the chart.

Contact Your Advisor

You can email your advisor with any general questions or concerns. Your advisor will respond to your email within three(3) business days.

Filing Petitions

There are two types of petition forms: The undergraduate transfer credit petition form and the general petition form. Both petition forms can be submitted via email to your advisor, or hard copy can be submitted to the Academic Department or advisor.

The undergraduate transfer petition form may be used to have transfer credit evaluated as a UH equivalent class or core requirement. Please follow these guidelines when submitting a petition for transfer credit:

  1. Fill out the undergraduate transfer petition form.
  2. Attach the following documents to the petition:
    1. Your transfer credit summary (available through your myUH account).
    2. Course description from the institution where you received credit for the transfer course.
    3. Course syllabus from the institution where your received credit for the transfer course.
  3. College of Technology majors may submit the petition and supporting documents to your assigned advisor via email, or can drop them off with the Academic department.

College of Technology Advising will send the petition to the appropriate department or college for evaluation. Undergraduate transfer petitions take approximately 4-6 weeks to review.

The general petition form is used for a variety of issues including but not limited to:

  • Changes to academic records
  • Course overload request
  • Course substitution (only involving UH classes)
  • Degree requirement exception
  • Discontinuing a major or minor

Please be clear and succinct in writing your petition request in the explanation section of the general petition. Some requests require documents to support your request. College of Technology Advising can assist you with submitting the petition.

An advisor's recommendation to submit a petition does not imply that the petition will be approved. The petition is not approved until the college dean's representative or, for some issues, the representative of the university provost office has approved the petition.