In an effort to help support you and help you support one another and the community during COVID-19, we have created this resource page for the GCSW community. The links that follow include GCSW specific messaging, as well as University and community resources. If you have information that would be helpful to our community please send an email to GCSWnews@uh.edu. All members of the UH GCSW community are also advised to check the UH COVID-19 site for the latest information about the outbreak, and measures being implemented by the university.
For contact information on Admissions, Advising, Field Education, Support for Virtual Learning, and Virtual Activities and Events during COVID19 see the Virtual Services for Fall 2020 webpage.
Click here to view the COVID-19 Information and Resources archive page.
- Mode of Instruction
- University Policy Updates for Fall
Grading: While the university adopted an emergency grading policy for graduate courses last Spring, this is no longer in effect for graduate students. Traditional grading policies are back in place, in accordance with the established policies in the UH Graduate Catalog.
Attendance: UH has created a Graduate Excused Absence Policy specifically for the fall semester. Click here to learn more.
- Cougar Emergency Fund
As you continue to face existing and new challenges as a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic, we want to let you know assistance is still available through the Cougar Emergency Fund. Students in need may apply for available funding by doing the following:
Email email@example.com to request an application. Include your full name, student ID number, and Graduate College of Social Work in your email, OR
Call 713- 743-1010 and select option 5 for additional information. Have your student ID number ready.
- Field Updates for Fall 2020 A full outline of policy and procedure adjustments for the Fall 2020 semester can be found in the Field Education - COVID-19 FIELD COURSE ADJUSTMENTS. Highlights are below:
- Students can be on-site with an agency when necessary and after the completion of a form found on IPT.
- Field Practicum IV minimum clock hours continue to be reduced from 250 to 115 through the Spring 2021 semester. Agency approval must be obtained, and agencies can require additional hours.
- The definition of field-based activities continues to be expanded to include remote-based field activities.
- For students who apply and are approved to complete field at their place of employment, their work tasks can count as field tasks if they are linked to the social work competencies and there is an approved field instructor.
- Students in the F2F and Hybrid enrollment models who have a geographic location change outside of the Greater Houston area should consult with their Field Coordinators about the impact of the change to field education.
- A GCSW Covid19 Facebook page is available for students.
GCSW SUPPORT SPACE
Hosted by GCSW faculty and staff, this weekly meeting shares information, support, and student connection during this time of social distancing. Meetings are held Wednesdays from noon–12:50pm. See the Social Word for the Zoom link.
- September 23 - De-stressing the Writing Process
- August 12 - Tools, Tips, and Ideas for Making Connections Virtually this Fall
- July 22 - Trauma Stewardship and the Five Directions
- May 27 - Developing and Maintaining Professional Relationships (Recommendation Guidelines)
- May 20 – Community Training Opportunities
- May 13 - Job Opportunities for Community Health Workers
- April 29 – COVID Resources for Social Workers and Social Work Students
- April 15 – Stress and Trauma
UH GCSW COMMUNICATIONS
- August 20, 2020: Welcome Back and Fall 2020 Virtual Services
- August 4, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- August 1, 2020: Field Education - COVID-19 FIELD COURSE ADJUSTMENTS
- July 20, 2020: Dean's Message to Students
- July 13, 2020: GCSW Updates for Fall
GUIDANCE AND LETTERS TO THE UH COMMUNITY
- August 17, 2020: Welcome Back
- August 3, 2020: Reopening for the Fall Semester
- July 30, 2020: Excused Absence and Grading Policies