All students traveling to destinations outside the United States on a university-sponsored or organized credit or non-credit bearing trip are required to have international medical and emergency insurance while abroad. UH has partnered with On Call International to offer cost-effective and robust international insurance to our students and faculty leaders. This is a blanket coverage policy that automatically covers UH students, faculty, or staff traveling abroad for university purposes.
Students do not need to individually enroll with On Call International for their insurance coverage. Students participating in a Learning Abroad program will have their insurance fee assessed to their student account by Learning Abroad based on the number of days they are abroad. Students participating in a non-Learning Abroad program will have the cost of their insurance assessed by the college or department sponsoring the program.
- Medical, travel, and security assistance, including insured evacuation services
- International medical expenses coverage
- Coordination of emergent and non-emergent medical care
- Coordination of travel arrangements for you or a person you designate for certain emergency circumstances (such as hospitalization abroad)
Review the On Call International brochure outlining designed specifically for University of Houston.
Employees and students traveling on university business and educational programs can make a collect call, send an email, live chat, or text On Call from anywhere in the world 24 hours a day to request assistance. For assistance with medical care, travel problems, medical emergencies, or if the traveler is impacted by security crisis anywhere in the world, we strongly encourage our employees and students to take advantage of services available through On Call.
Call collect from anywhere in the world: +1 978-651-9213
Call toll-free US / Canada: 1-833-808-0236
24/7 Live Chat
Text Only: +1 844-302-5131
If traveling abroad, ensure you have the On Call plan information and contact information in the easiest place to reference it – on your phone. You can do this with a simple 2-step process without needing to login to anything or sharing any personal information:
- Visit the On Call International Insurance Resources link from your phone.
- Follow the prompts to save it to your home screen. This will give you a tile on your phone that opens a Resource Hub that includes information about the program and how to use it, as well as click to dial phone and chat links.