Download this brochure here.
Welcome, UH Faculty! We are glad you have joined the Cougar family. The Office of Faculty Engagement and Development is here to support you in all areas of your teaching and scholarship. We want to guide you in your transition to the University of Houston and the City of Houston. This guide will provide you with resources, and direction in your relocation to Houston, Texas.
THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON
The University of Houston has nationally ranked academic programs, cutting edge centers, world class libraries, and state of the art facilities. UH is a top producer of Fulbright U.S. students, and supporter of First-Generation graduates. UH fosters a diverse student body, and supports Faculty engagement initiatives.
Dr. Renu Khator serves as the Chancellor of the University of Houston System, and Dr. Diane Z. Chase serves as Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Provost. Dr. Chase leads the implementation of the University’s ambitious strategic plan and its bold vision to become a top 50 public university. Tour UH here.
PERKS AT UH
As a University of Houston Faculty member, you are entitled to complimentary perks, such as employee discounts.
Please visit UH link - Home | Welcome to Your University of Houston Discount Program (perkspot.com)
UH Campus Recreation - Campus Recreation - University of Houston (uh.edu)
HOWDY! WELCOME TO HOUSTON
In 2012, Houston was named the most diverse city in the United States. There are 2.3 million residents, with people from more than 70 countries and U.S. regions, who speak about 145 languages. Houston is also home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world.
Faculty, staff, and students come from the Greater Houston area. Here is a list of resources to help you explore the City of Houston and its surrounding areas.
We have highlighted a few Houston Neighborhoods and Communities. You will find the following areas located closesly to the University:
Inner Loop Communities - Third Ward (University of Houston), University Oaks, Old Braeswood, Rice/South Hampton, The Heights/Garden Oaks, Medical Center, City of Bellaire.
South Houston - Missouri City, Pearland, Sugar Land
Southeast Houston - Clear Lake, Friendswood, Nassau Bay, Webster
Do you need help to understand the Houston real estate market? Are you looking for a home to buy or rent? Visit these suggested links below.
- Houston Association of Realtors – (har.com)
- Monthly Update: Home Sales (houston.org)
- Houston Housing Market | Real Estate Trends & Forecast (houstonproperties.com)
Here is a list of some Independent School Districts in Greater Houston.
- Houston ISD - https://www.houstonisd.org/
- Fort Bend ISD - https://www.fortbendisd.com/
- Pearland ISD - https://www.pearlandisd.org/
- Friendswood ISD - https://www.myfisd.com/
- Alvin ISD - https://www.alvinisd.net/
- Spring Branch ISD - https://www.springbranchisd.com/
MUSEUMS AND THEATRE DISTRICTS
Houston has 19 museums and 9 professional performing art and theatre companies. Five artistic centers boast more than 12,000 seats. In the Theatre District, you can experience the symphony, ballet, opera, and theater companies while eating at some of the best restaurants in downtown Houston.
- Houston Museum District - Houston Museum District (houmuse.org)
- Houston Theatre District – Houston Theater: Broadway Shows, Musicals, Plays, Concerts in 2023/24 (houston-theater.com)
PARKS AND RECREATION
Houston is home to parks of different sizes and adventures, over 200 green spaces, and more than 125 miles of trails. Local parks have many free cultural, social, lifestyle events and festivals to take advantage of year-round. Visit Houston Parks and Recreation Department (houstontx.gov/parks/) for a complete list of area parks.
- Clear Creek Golf Club
- Discovery Green
- East River 9
- F.M. Law Golf Park 9
- Gus Wortham Park
- Hermann Park
- Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark
- Levy Park
- Memorial Park
- MacGregor Park
- Tom Bass Park
- Wildcat Golf Club
SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENTHouston is home to professional sporting events.
UH Sports – The Big 12
University of Houston Athletics - Official Athletics Website (uhcougars.com)
Major League Sports
- Baseball – MLB Houston Astros
- Basketball – NBA Houston Rockets
- Football – NFL Houston Texans
- Soccer – MLS Houston Dynamo
- Women’s Soccer – NWSL Houston Dash
Other league sports
- Cricket – Houston Hurricanes
- Cricket – USA Cricket
- Rugby – SaberCats Stadium Houston Entertainment
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- The Galleria – Texas’ Largest Shopping Mall
Family and Local Entertainment
Find family fun events and weekly happenings around the city.
Restaurants and Food Trucks – over 15, 000 options based by cultural areas
- University/Third Ward - African-American, Louisiana Creole, West Indian, West African, Vegan/Vegetarian
- Bissonnet - Filipino, Nigerian, Ethiopian, African American
- Briar Meadow - Iranian, Lebanese, Arab
- Chinatown - Chinese, Vietnamese
- East Downtown – Mexican, TexMex, Chinese (Old Chinatown)
- Gulfton - Salvadoran, Honduran, Mexican
- Little Saigon - Vietnamese
- Second Ward - Mexican
- Little India/Mahatma Gandhi District - Indian, Pakistani
- Midtown - Vietnamese
- NRG Park/Texas Medical Center area - Various cuisines
The best way to get around Houston is in your personal vehicle. There is public transportation; however, being the fourth largest city in the U.S. and the expansive nature of the city, public transportation takes some maneuvering. Take time to explore traffic, distances, and bus/rail routes to determine the best mode of transportation for you. Houston also has high occupancy vehicle (HOV+2) lanes and toll roads. Depending on traffic, a 10-mile commute can take more than 30 minutes. Traffic in Houston is bi-directional; traffic times in and out of the city are the same.
- METRO Bus and Rail – Houston Regional Trip Planner (ridemetro.org)
- Harris County Toll Road – HCTRA — Harris County Toll Road Authority
- Houston Traffic Maps – Houston TranStar - Traffic Map visit www.houstontranstar.org
- Bike Houston - Resources — BikeHouston