Faculty professional development builds an interdisciplinary learning community and can have promising outcomes for student success. The Office of Faculty Engagement and Development partners with departments across campus and national organizations to provide a multiplicity of resources for faculty and postdoctoral fellows to cultivate their professional skills.
The FED has established professional partnerships to provide training opportunities at a variety of times and through different medians to meet faculty’s demanding schedules. Webinars and training resources provided through the UH institution membership are available to all faculty.
The FED coordinates workshops and helps identify resources to assist faculty in locating funding opportunities, as well as provides an introduction to grant sources such as PIVOT, Grant Forward, and Grants.gov.
To learn more about funding and proposal development visit the following department websites.
Research shows that writing in small chunks daily supports healthy scholarship. The NCFDD provides interactive webinars to support faculty in their writing productivity. The FED hosts writing groups to increase accountability, build relationships, and provide encouragement.
At the University of Houston you can find departments and colleges that provide support in teaching excellence. Faculty can receive assistance in the areas of instructional support, technology training, research services and student learning.
- Engage in Teaching and Student Success
- Get Instructional Support - Instruction@UH
- Develop an Active Learning classroom
- Access the Office of Educational Technology
- Utilize Faculty Focus
- Support UH Libraries – Open Educational Resources
- Incorporate writing into your syllabus through the UH Writing Center
- Support students who need assistance – Conduct Assessment & Response Team
- Focus on student success – LAUNCH
- Learn about the Center for Diversity and Inclusion
Mentoring is a strategy for faculty success. Establishing a formal mentoring relationship can provide support in your scholarship and professional growth. Create a faculty development plan to enhance research productivity, teaching excellence, and professional development.
The FED has identified internal resources to connect faculty to areas of student support sources.
- Visit the University library
- Explore Faculty & Departmental Instruction Support
- Learn about the Center for Students with Disabilities
- Utilize University Information Technology
- Receive training from UH Human Resources
- Support for students is available at UH Counseling and Psychological Services
- Promote safety and well-being: UH Conduct Assessment and Response Team