Skip to main content

Reporting a Sexual Assault

If you are sexually assaulted, you are encouraged to call police immediately! Our emergency number is 911, or utilize any on-campus emergency information call box or telephone. If the incident occurred off-campus, UHPD is willing to coordinate notification to the appropriate law enforcement agency where the incident occurred. Note: when contacting the police, advise them if the suspect is still in the area and if any weapons were involved.

Get to a safe place as soon as you can. Go to the nearest lighted public place.

Protect the crime scene. If the attack did not occur in your residence, try to recall the area you were taken so the officers can recover evidence left at the scene.

Get medical attention as soon as possible. A medical examination will provide any necessary treatment and collect important evidence. Injuries may not be immediately apparent. The UH Health Center's number is 713-743-5151.

Campus authorities, including RA's, nurses, counselors, staff supervisors, or department heads, may assist in notifying authorities, if you wish.

It is critical for the police agency to be informed as soon as possible after the incident so that appropriate steps, such as gathering of crucial evidence and information, can be taken.

It is always a survivor's choice as to whether or not to report a sexual assault, but reporting an assault (or attempted assault) is extremely important for the protection of both the victim and the community. Reporting an assault does not mean that the survivor must prosecute. However, it does begin the legal process if the survivor decides to prosecute at a later date. The survivor has the option of requesting a concealed identity or pseudonym during the investigation.

Talk with counselors who will maintain confidentiality, help explain your options, give you information, and provide emotional support. On campus you can call Counseling and Psychological Services at 713-743-5454. You can also call the Houston Area Women's Center Rape Crisis Center at 713-528-RAPE.

Contact someone you trust, a close friend or a resident assistant, to be with you and to support you. This person may accompany you to the hospital or the police station if you wish. An advocate from the Women's Center Rape Crisis program can be requested through the emergency room staff.

Pursue charges against the assailant. You may seek criminal prosecution, file charges through the university judicial process (student life referral via Dean of Students Office, or sexual harassment charge), or file a civil suit. You may have rights to compensation and financial assistance, if you report the incident to the police. Write down what happened, in your own words, to help you better remember if you decide to press charges.

Identification Needed by Police

Practice being observant so that if you are attacked you will be able to describe and identify the assailant.