Clinical Assistant Professor
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
4849 Calhoun Road, Room 4009
Houston, TX 77204-5039
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas
- Master of Science in Pharmacy Administration, University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas
- Pre-Pharmacy Coursework, University of Texas at Austin
- Pharmacy Education
- Integrative student-centered curriculum
- Innovative and best practice models in education
- Student pharmacist leadership development
- Health System Pharmacy Administration
- Lean methodology
- Inpatient pharmacy management
- Quality improvement and patient safety
Philip A, Gessner-Wharton M, Birney P, Blee P, Desai A, Gorbach C, Karralli R, Lorimer D, Munch K, Nweke G, Parekh S, Puebla M, Cox R, Pitman E, Garey KW. Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative taskforce report: Improving participation in a survey on hospital pharmacy practices in Texas. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2015 Jun 15; 72(12):1053-7.
A Philip, A Desai, P Nguyen, P Birney, R Karralli, L Smith, D Lorimer, G Burgess, N Daniel, K Munch, J Lionetti, and KW Garey. Evaluating Pharmacy Leader Development Through The Seven Action Logics. Amer J Health Syst Pharm. 2016 Jan 15;73(2):82-5. doi: 10.2146/ajhp150162.
Desai A. Optimization of medication delivery robot use using Lean methodology in a Veterans Affairs academic medical center. MS Thesis Project. University of Houston, 2014.
Desai A. Strategic Planning for VA Pharmacies: Through the Lens of a VA Pharmacy Administration Resident. Pharmacy News, 2014; 5(7): 2.
Desai A, Tan C. Pharmacist James McKinley: The Story of Pharmacy at MD Anderson Cancer Center Part I. TSHP Journal. 2011; 12(2): 16-18.
Desai A, Tan C. Pharmacist Roger Anderson: The Story of Pharmacy at MD Anderson Cancer Center Part II. TSHP Journal. 2011; 12(2): 22-24.
Moss A, Desai A. Know Leadership, Know the Brand of SSHP: TSHP Annual Seminar 2010. The Script- University of Houston College of Pharmacy Newsletter. 2010; 2(2): 10-11.
- Preceptor for: Implementation and evaluation of targeted interventions for reducing missing dose requests in an academic Veteran Affairs Medical Center, ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Dec 2015.
- Preceptor for: Evaluating the impact of the implementation of an operational dashboard on inpatient pharmacy productivity in a Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center, ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Dec 2015.
- Optimization of medication delivery robot use using lean methodology, ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Dec 2013.
- Evaluation of an innovation tool for inpatient pharmacy in a 580 bed VA hospital, ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Dec 2012.
- Impact of concomitant antibiotics on Clostridium difficile recurrence rate, ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Dec 2011.
- Salacia herb: A natural Diabetes Remedy… In a Cup of Tea!, TSHP Annual Meeting Apr 2011.
Pharmacy Clean Room Market Research Analysis, June 2017
Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative, April 2017
Strategic Planning Perspective and Case Study, September 2016
“Health-System Pharmacy Administration Residency Accreditation Orientation,” November 2014
“Optimization of Medication Delivery Robot Use Using Lean Methodology in a Veterans Affairs Academic Medical Center,” June 2014
“FY 2014 Pharmacy Residency Standards of Excellence,” March 2014
“Pharmacy Practice Changes in Affordable Care Organizations,” April 2014
“VA Learning Opportunities Residency: Pharmacy Student Integration Into VA Pharmacy Practice Model,” March 2014
“The Affordable Care Act and Its Impact on Pharmacy Practice in VA,” March 2014
“Medications Returned to Pharmacy Yellow Belt Project,” February 2014
“Kicking Off Your Strategic Planning Process,” January 2014
“The Pharmacy Forecast 2013-2017,” December 2013
“Revamping Student Ambassador Use In UHCOP Pharmacy Student Interviews,” December 2013
“Medication Delivery Robot Thesis Proposal,” October 2013
“Competency Assessment for Pharmacy Supervisor and Procurement Technicians,” October 2013
“VISN 16 Lost Opportunity Costs for Fiscal Year 2014-2015,” August 2013
“New Hope Hospital Pharmacy Proposal,” July 2013
“Evaluation of an innovation tool for inpatient pharmacy in a 580 bed VA hospital,” April 2013
“Interview with Paul Abramowitz,” September 2013
“Patient Transitions in Health Care,” February 2013
“Top 10 Medication Safety Issues- Overview of ASHP Midyear Presentation,” January 2013
“Sterile Preparations and Admixture Programs,” October 2012
“Electronic Data Management: Electronic Health Record and CPOE,” September 2012
“History of Hospital Pharmacy in the United States," 2012
“Medication Use System: Is The Methodist Hospital ‘Leading Medicine’?” November 2011Clinical Presentations
“Overview of Diabetic Neuropathy,” January 2014
“Basic of U-500 Insulin,” January 2014
“New Drug Series,” June 2013
“Genitourinary Medications,” April 2013
“Pain Management Didactic Course,” March 2013
“Anti-Hypertensive Medication Review," February 2013
“Cirrhosis Didactic Course,” November 2012
“Smoking Cessation Course for Veterans,” October 2012
“Pediatric Allergy and Asthma- Over the Counter Medications,” September 2012
“Chronic Secretory Diarrhea: Loose Stools, You Fool!” December 2011
“Is fidaxomicin the answer to Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) recurrence?” September 2011
“Turning tides in anti-platelet therapy: the role of ticagrelor,” August 2011
“Medications for Your Heart’s Health,” July 2011
“Recommended changes to uncomplicated cellulitis protocol proposal,” June 2011
- University of Houston College of Pharmacy Health System Pharmacy of the Year, May 2016
- VA Pharmaceutical Waste Project–National Recognition, February 2016
- LEAN Yellow Belt Project, January 2016, February 2014
- LEAN Green Belt Project, May 2014
- 1st Place MEDVAMC Lean Patient-Centered Care Fair People’s Choice Awards, February 2014
- 2nd Place MEDVAMC Lean Patient-Centered Care Fair People’s Choice Awards, February 2014
- LEAN White Belt Trainer Certification, December 2013
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Recognition Award, May 2012
- Pharmacy Leadership Society (PLS), Jan 2012- May 2012
- TSHP Student Involvement Award, April 2011
- ASHP Recognition for UHCOP SSHP, July 2009, 2010, 2011
- ASHP Student Leadership Development Workshop, June 2009, 2010
- TSHP Community Outreach Service Excellence Award, April 2010
- Voted Officer of the Year- Omega Phi Alpha National Service Sorority, December 2006, May 2007
- Volunteer of the Month- People’s Community Clinic Pharmacy, October 2006
- Undergraduate Research Fellowship, January 2006, August 2006
- Leadership Education and Progress (LEAP) Seminar, August 2004, January 2005
- Volunteer of the Month- People’s Community Clinic, October 2005
- University Honors Program- University of Texas at Austin, December 2004
- Girl Scout Gold Award, May 2004