Professor of Medicinal Chemistry
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 7035
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5037
Contact: email@example.com - 713-743-1708 - Fax: 713-743-1884
- Identifying molecular targets of ethanol at the presynaptic zone
- Structure/function studies of C1 domain-containing proteins
- Molecular dynamics simulation studies of peripheral and membrane proteins
- Ph.D. in Bio-organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
- Postdoctoral: Medical University of South Carolina, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Massachusetts General Hospital
Google Scholar Profile
- Y. You Y, S. Katti, B. Yu, T.I. Igumenova, J. Das. Probing the Diacylglycerol Binding Site of Presynaptic Munc13-1, Biochemistry, 60:1286-1298 (2021).
- J. Das. Repurposing of drugs-the ketamine story, J. Med. Chem. 2020, 63, 13514-13525
- Y. You and J. Das. Effect of Ethanol on Munc13-1 C1 in Membrane: A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study, Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 2020, 44, 1344-1355.
- F. Blanco, A. Czikora, N. Kedei, Y. You, G. Mitchell, S. Pany, A. Ghosh, P. Blumberg, Das J. Munc13 Is a Molecular Target of Bryostatin 1, Biochemistry, 58, 3016-3030 (2019).
- J. Das, N. Kedei, J. Kelsey, Y. You, S. Pany, G.A. Mitchell, N.E. Lewin and P.M. Blumberg. Critical role of Trp-588 of presynaptic Munc13-1 for ligand binding and membrane translocation, Biochemistry. 57, 732-741, 2018
- S. Pany, Y. You and J. Das. Curcumin inhibits PKC alpha activity by binding to its C1 domain, Biochemistry, 55, 6327-6336 (2016).
- G.M. Rahman, S. Shanker, N.E. Lewin, B. V.V. Prasad, P.M. Blumberg and J. Das. Identification of the Activator Binding Residues in the Second Cysteine-Rich Regulatory Domain of Protein Kinase C Theta (PKCθ), Biochem. J. 451, 33-44 (2013).
- S. Shanmugasundararaj*, J. Das*, W.S. Sandberg, X. Zhou, D. Wang, R.O. Messing, K.S. Bruzik, T. Stehle and K.W. Miller. Structural and functional characterization of an anesthetic binding site in the second cysteine rich domain of protein kinase C delta, Biophys. J., 103, 2331-2338 (2012).
- J. Das, S. Pany and A. Majhi. Chemical modifications of resveratrol for improved protein kinase C alpha activity, Bioorg. Med. Chem. 19, 5321-5333 (2011)
- J. Das, S. Pany, G.M. Rahman and S.J. Slater. PKC epsilon has an alcohol binding site in its second cysteine rich regulatory domain, Biochem. J., 421, 405-413 (2009).
- J. Das, X. Zhou and K.W. Miller. Identification of an alcohol binding site in the first cysteine-rich domain of Protein Kinase C delta, Protein Sci. 15, 2107-2119 (2006).
- J. Das, G.H. Addona, W.S. Sandberg, S.S. Husain, T. Stehle and K.W. Miller. Identification of a general anesthetic binding site in the diacylglycerol-binding domain of Protein Kinase C, J. Biol. Chem., 279, 37964-37972(2004).
- J. Das, M. Kono, J-x. Ma, D.D. Oprian and R.K. Crouch. C9 methyl group of retinal modulates the absorption and transducin activation properties in cone pigments, Biochemistry, 43, 5532-5538(2004).
- J. Ma, S. Znoiko, K.L. Othersen, J.C. Ryan, J. Das, T. Isayama, M. Kono, D.D. Oprian, D.W. Corson, M.C. Cornwall, D.A. Cameron, F.L. Harosi, C.L. Makino, R.K. Crouch. A visual pigment expressed in both rod and cone photoreceptors, Neuron, 32, 451-461(2001).
- A.K. Singh, J. Das and N. Majumdar. Novel bacteriorhodopsin analogues based on azo chromophores, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 118, 6185-6191(1996).
Awards & Honors
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Pharmacy, University of Houston 2012
- Award for Excellence in Research, College of Pharmacy, University of Houston 2011
- The Houston Business Journal published, "Briefs: Drug to treat alcoholism is goal of UH research," Oct 04, 2010
- National Public Radio (Houston) aired the research, "UH Chemist Tracking Alcohol Molecules through the Brain" on September 29, 2010
- Ad hoc reviewer, NIH study section Neurotoxicology and Alcohol (NAL), 2017
- Ad hoc reviewer, NIH study section ZAA1JJ (08), 2016
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Addiction and Dependence
- Editorial board member, International Journal of Biomedical Research and Analysis
- Editorial board member, Medicinal Chemistry
- Editorial board member, Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology and Drug Research