Assistant Department Chair
Department of Pharmaceutical Health Outcomes and Policy
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 4056
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5047
Contact: MikeJohnson@uh.edu - 832-842-8353
- Quality of care, Quality assessment
- Observational studies, pharmacoepidemiology
- Heart disease, diabetes, cancer
- Ph.D., Biostatistics, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health
- M.S., Biostatistics, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health
- B.A., Psychology, University of Texas at Austin
Google Scholar Profile
- Sadhu AR, Patham B, Vadhariya A, Chikermane SG, Johnson ML. Outcomes of Real World Insulin Strategies in the Management of Hospital Hyperglycemia. J Endocr Soc. 2021 Jun 16; 5(8). PMID 34235360
- Rege S, Carnahan RM, Johnson ML, Chen H, Holmes HM, Aparasu RR. Antipsychotic initiation among older dementia patients using cholinesterase inhibitors: a national retrospective cohort study. Drugs Aging. 2021 Jun;38(6):493-502. PMID 3376382
- Varisco TJ, Johnson ML, Thornton J. Comment on Arshad et al.: treatment with hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, and combination in patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Int J Infect Dis. 2020 Oct;99:373. PMID 32771630
- Sharma M, Vadhariya A, Chikermane S, Gopinathan S, Chavez-MacGregor M, Giordano SH, Johnson ML, Holmes HM. Clinical outcomes associated with drug-drug interactions of oral chemotherapeutic agents: a comprehensive evidence-based literature review. Drugs Aging 2019 Apr:36(4):3431-34. PMID: 30714077
- Sharma, M., Holmes, H. M., Mehta, H. B., Chen, H., Aparasu, R. R., Shih, Y. T., . . . Johnson, M. L. The concomitant use of tyrosine kinase inhibitors and proton pump inhibitors: Prevalence, predictors, and impact on survival and discontinuation of therapy in older adults with cancer. Cancer, January 2019.
- Sharma M, Vadhariya A, Johnson ML, Marcum, Z, Holmes HH. The association of industry payments and prescribing costly medications: an observational study using open payments and medicare part D data. BMC Health Serv Res 2018 Apr 2; 18(1):236: PMID: 29609611
- Mehta HB, Mehta V, Girman C, Johnson ML. Regression Coefficient Based Scoring System Should be Used to Assign Weights to the Risk Index. J Clin Epidemiol. 2016 Nov;79:22-28. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2016.03.031. PMID: 27181564
- Mehta HB, Mehta V, Tsai CL, Chen H, Aparasu RR, Johnson ML*. Development and validation of the RxDx-dementia risk index to predict dementia in patient with type 2 diabetes and hypertension. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016;49(2):423-32. doi: 10.3233/JAD-150466. PMID: 26519436
- Johnson ML, Parikh N, Kunik ME, Schulz PE, Patel JG, Chen H, Aparasu RR, Morgan R. Antihypertensive drug use and the risk of dementia in patients with diabetes mellitus. Alzheimer’s Dement. 2012 Sep;8(5):437-44. PMID 22521970
- Desai R, Ashton CM, Deswal A, Morgan R, Mehta HB, Chen H, Aparasu R, Johnson ML*. Comparative effectiveness of individual angiotensin receptor blockers on risk of mortality patients with chronic heart failure. Pharmacoepi and Drug Safety. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012 Mar;21(3):233-40. PMID: 21786364 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Johnson ML, Crown W, Martin BC, Dormuth CR, Siebert U. "Good research practices for comparative effectiveness research: analytic methods to improve causal inference from non-randomized studies of treatment effects using secondary data sources: the ISPOR Good Research Practices for Retrospective Database Analysis Task Force Report Part III. Value Health. 2009 Nov-Dec;12(8):106201073. Epub 2009 Sep 29. PMID: 19793071
- El-Serag HB, Johnson ML, Hachem C, Morgan RO. Statins are associated with a reduced risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in a large cohort of patients with diabetes. Gastroenterology. 2009 May;136(5):1601-8. Epub 2009 Jan 30. PMID: 19208359; PMCID: PMC2677134.
- Johnson ML, Bush RL, Collins TC, Lin PH, Liles DA, Henderson WG, Khuri SF, Petersen LA. Propensity Score Analysis in Observational Studies: Outcomes following Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair. Am J Surg, 2006, Sep; 192(3) 336-43.
- Johnson ML. Risk-assessment and adjustment: Adjusting for sick patients or a sick system? Editorial. Medical Care, 2003, 41: 1, 4-7. January.
- Johnson ML, Gordon HG, Petersen NJ, Wray NP, Shroyer AL, Grover FL and JM Geraci. Effect of Definition of Mortality on Hospital Profile, Medical Care, 2002, 40:1, 7-16. January. With editorial: Schneider EC. Measuring Mortality Outcomes to Improve Health Care: Rational use of ratings and rankings. Medical Care, 40:1, 1-3, 2002.
Awards & Honors
- Best Podium Research Presentation, 16th Annual ISPOR, Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2011: Johnson ML, Mehta S, Chitnis AS, Bhowmik D, Dwibedi N, Kamble P. Performance of different comorbidity measures in predicting healthcare expenditure in patients with dementia.
- Tenure, University of Houston, 2009
- International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) Distinguished Service Award, 2009
- Exceptional Reviewer for 2003, Medical Care, 42(1), January 2004. Top 25 of over 3000.
- Top 5% of Scientific Reviewers, Medical Care, 1997-2001
- Statistics Section Award for best contributed paper by a student to the 1993 American Public Health Association Conference in San Francisco, California, for master's thesis.