Application DeadlinesApplication Opens: Fall – March 1 | Spring – July 1
Application Closes: Fall – April 1 | Spring – August 1
The Traditional BSN Track is designed for University of Houston (UH) students who start as freshmen and want to apply to the BSN degree program.
Pre-Nursing students are eligible to apply to the Gessner College of Nursing Traditional BSN track once they have completed or are enrolled to complete 60 semester credit hours (SCH) of the recommended course pathway for Nursing, of which 45 SCH must be in residence at UH. Students may be accepted conditionally, pending completion of UH core requirements, all nursing program pre-requisites, a criminal background and a drug screen clearance. Students who entered UH as freshmen and have met the application criteria but are not Pre-Nursing students may be considered for admission into the Traditional BSN track by exception.
Applicants must complete the College of Nursing Application to Change Course of Study to Nursing Major. Admission applications are reviewed and decided upon by the College of Nursing Admission Committee. Admission to the Traditional BSN Track is not guaranteed and is highly competitive. Per the college's admission policy, the holistic admission process is based upon many factors which include, but are not limited to:
- SAT/ACT scores
- Grades in courses for the Traditional BSN track (See: Recommended Course Pathway)
- Evidence of engagement in a healthcare setting with examples of work or volunteerism (recommended)
- ATI TEAS score, maximum two (2) attempts, with results submitted by application deadline
- Space availability in the Traditional BSN track
- An interview process.
Applicants to the Traditional BSN Track must pass the college-approved pre-admission test. The Gessner College of Nursing is only accepting Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) as the college approved pre-admission test. Applicants to the Traditional BSN Track must fax a completed release of social security number form to 713-743-1164. Applicants must satisfy the College of Nursing clinical readiness requirements.
Admission Criteria Admission to the Traditional BSN Track is a highly competitive process. To be considered for admission, the following minimum requirements must be met:
- Current University of Houston Pre-Nursing student(other majors by exception).
- A minimum of 60 SCH of course requirements for Nursing, of which 45 SCH must be in residence at UH.
- A minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA with a maximum of two attempts per course(will take the higher grade).
- A minimum of 2.75 GPA or higher in the natural sciences with a maximum of two attempts per course.
- Grade of B or higher(with a maximum of two attempts per course) required in
- BIOL 2302 Anatomy and Physiology 2;
- BIOL 2102 Anatomy and Physiology 2 Laboratory.
- Grade of B-or higher(with a maximum of two attempts per course) required in
- NUTR 2332 Introduction to Human Nutrition;
- BIOL 2301 Anatomy and Physiology 1;
- BIOL 2101 Anatomy and Physiology 1 Laboratory;
- BIOL 2320 Microbiology for Non-Science Majors;
- BIOL 2120 Microbiology for Non-Science Majors Laboratory;
- CHEM 1305 Foundations of Chemistry.
- Completion of the ATI TEAS Exam with a highly competitive score.
- Meet clinical readiness and be eligible for RN licensure upon graduation. Must receive drug screen clearance and criminal background clearance or a Board order by the Texas Board of Nursing before acceptance.
Students not admitted to the Traditional BSN track will be advised to an alternate major at the University of Houston. Applicants not admitted may reapply by the deadline date for the next term. Applications are not carried forward to the next deadline date and there are no waiting lists.