The Department of Mathematics, at the University of Houston, launched a Master of Science in Statistics and Data Science program ("MSDS") in the Fall of 2017. This is a full-time Hybrid program which consists of 30 credit hours and can be completed in 1 year (Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters).
- One-calendar-year hybrid program combining on-campus and online courses (total of 30 credits)
- Builds a solid foundation in applied statistics and provides rigorous principles to guide statistical inference
- Teaches fundamental skills in modeling and analysis of complex data
- Provides hands-on experience through in-class learning and research project internships in industrial, commercial or biomedical settings
- Improves programming skills to the professional level for data analytics
- Broadens knowledge of statistical research and machine learning
- Requires a minimal prerequisite of mathematical/statistical knowledge and programming languages
- Mentored by experienced professors of many years teaching and research.
- Most efficient and cost-effective professional degree program in the Houston area
- 8 Core Classes (24 credit hours):
- Probability Models & Statistical Computing
- Linear Models & Design of Experiments
- Statistical Learning & Data Mining
- Programming Foundation for Data Analytics
- Applied Statistics & Multivariate Data Analysis
- Deep Learning & Artificial Neural Networks
- Big Data Analytics
- Information Visualization
- 2 Electives from the Following 4 Courses:
- Data Clustering and Machine Learning (syllabus)
- Programming foundation for data analytics (syllabus)
- Genomic Data Analysis (syllabus)
- Case Studies in Data Science (syllabus)
- Master’s Tutorial: Summer Internship Project (3 credit hours)
Texas resident tuition: $527/credit hour (approximately $16,710 for the program)
Please click the Collegenet link to apply.
- Calculus II
- Linear Algebra
Fall Semester admissions only. No application fee for U.S. Citizens
- International Applicants (Non-Resident): May 1st
- U.S. Citizens (Resident): June 1st
To start your application, click this link.
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree. A major in Mathematics is not required. The Admissions Committee evaluates each applicant’s credentials, considering a broad range of criteria, including:
- 3.0+ : Cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher in the last 60 hours
- 304+ : GRE scores (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing) taken in the last 5 years; Advanced GRE is recommended but optional
- Content of prior degree programs and competency in mathematics, including prerequisites
- Letters of recommendation from three individuals (preferably faculty members)
- English proficiency test scores, when applicable
- Resume and personal statement
- Background in probability and statistics is not essential, but is a plus
- Proficiency in at least one of the main programing languages used in data analysis (R, SAS, Matlab, Python, etc.) is not required, but is helpful
Lisa Vaughn, Program Manager, email@example.com , PGH 636
Wenjiang Fu, PhD. Professor and Program Director
Robert Azencott, PhD. Professor and Program Scientific Advisor
Mailing Address: Department of Mathematics, University of Houston, 3551 Cullen Blvd., 641 Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Houston, TX 77204-3008
For a list of current students in the program, please click this link.
To view the poster, click this link.
To view the brochure, click this link.
Spring 2019 "MSDS" Open House
Spring 2018 "MSDS" Open House
"MSDS" Seminar Calendar
*Note: The correct designation for degrees on the transcript, will be denoted as: Statistics and Data Science, M.S.