Research Scientist of Atmospheric Science
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, 2000, Tulane University, New Orleans
Office: 223 Old Science
Air quality analysis, air quality modeling, mesoscale modeling, climate downscaling, urban heat islands under climate change, statistical ozone modeling; Statistical specialties include classification, decision tree, cluster analysis, spatial statistics, trend analysis, extreme value statistics.
Xiangshang Li is currently a research scientist in the Department of Geosciences, Univ. of Houston. He is affiliated with the Institute for Multidimensional Air Quality Studies (IMAQS). Before joing UH in 2006, he had previously worked as a postdoc at Tulane University, where he also obtained his M.S. and Ph.D. His dissertation is on statistical downscaling of regional precipitation in the U.S.
- Li, X., D. Lee, S. T. Kim, H. C. Kim, F. Ngan, F. Y. Cheng, and D. Byun. 2008. “Performance Evaluation of a Year-long Run of an Air Quality Forecasting System for Southeast Texas,” presented at the 10th Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry, AMS annual meeting, New Orleans, LA. January 2008.
- Byun, DW, F. Ngan, D. G. Lee, X. Li, S. T. Kim, H. C. Kim, and F. Y. Cheng. 2008. “Retrospective Simulations of Meteorology and Air Quality for the Second Texas Air Quality Study in 2006”, presented at the 10th Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry, AMS annual meeting, New Orleans, LA. January 2008.
- Ford, BJ, G. Morris, E. Thompson, B. Rappenglueck, B. Lefer, D. W. Byun, X. Li, R. Perna, R. Boudreaux, B. McEvoy-Day, L. Pedemonte, and A. Chow, 2008. “The impact of residual layer ozone on surface ozone levels in Houston, Texas during TexAQS II”, presented at the 10th Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry, AMS annual meeting, New Orleans, LA. January 2008
- Zhang, K., Fan, W., Yuan, X., Davidson, I., and Li, X. 2006. “Forecasting Skewed Biased Stochastic Ozone Days: Analyses and Solutions,” In Proceedings of the Sixth international Conference on Data Mining (December 18 - 22, 2006). ICDM. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, 753-764. DOI= http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICDM.2006.73
- Li, X. and D.J., Sailor (2000). " Application of Tree-Structured Regression for Precipitation Downscaling of General Circulation Model Output" Climate Research, 16(10), 17-30
- Sailor, D.J., T. Hu, X. Li, and J.N. Rosen (2000), "A Neural Network Approach to Local Downscaling of GCM Wind Statistics for Assessment of Wind Power Implications of Climate Variability and Climatic Change," Renewable Energy, 19, 359-378.
- Sailor, D.J. and X. Li (1999). "A Semi-Empirical Downscaling Approach for Predicting Regional Temperature Impacts Associated with Climatic Change," Journal of Climate, 12 (1), 103-114.
- Sailor, D.J. and X. Li (1999). "Tree-Structured Regression Downscaling for Regional Climate Change Predictions of Precipitation," World Resource Review, 11(1), 64-75.
- Li, X., and D.J. Sailor (1995). "Electricity Use Sensitivity to Climate and Climate Change," World Resource Review, 7 (3), 334-346.