- Jonny Wu (Committee Chair)
- Emily Beverly
- Julia Wellner
- Thomas Lapen (Department Chair, Ex Officio)
- Keah Walker (Staff Liaison)
- Rachel Clark (Student Liaison)
Formed in the summer of 2020, the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences DEI Committee is charged with fostering a community that enhances diversity, promotes equity and inclusion, and also seeks to identify opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to better engage in training, outreach, mentorship, and student support opportunities.
Key Ongoing Initiatives
Listen to our faculty, staff, and student communities by hosting and participating in DEI discussions within the department.
- Graduate Student DEI Town Hall, Fall 2020
- Sedimentology Seminar on “Barriers to Diversity in Fieldwork,” Fall 2020
- EAS Faculty Meeting Discussions on Climate, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021
- Leading a university-wide “Picture a Scientist” film screening and faculty discussion, Spring 2021
- 7 faculty now certified by Cougar Ally training for LGBTQ+ awareness and safety
- NSM College DEI Committee; National and Professional Society Workshops and Committees
Identify paths to better support our existing students and recruit diverse and excellent future students
- Undergraduate Student Research Initiatives
- Active Recruitment of Graduate School Applicants from a Range of Backgrounds and Holistic Graduate Admission Policies
UH Office of Equal Opportunity Services (EOS)
EOS facilitates community dialogue, provides prevention education and training, and enforces the Anti-Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct/Title IX Policies. Their webpage has a lot of resources, including space to make a report of discrimination or sexual misconduct.
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics DEI
The NSM Faculty Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee developed statements that embody our values and culture in the College and University.
An extensive list of resources including scholarly publications, books, videos, films, and podcasts for the UH community to educate themselves on systematic racism.
Resources on Racial Injustice and Anti-Racism
Put together by NSM Student Leadership team, this webpage provides many resources on racial injustice.
View Picture a Scientist
In April 2021, NSM and EAS hosted a viewing and discussion of the film Picture a Scientist, a moving film about discrimination against women in science. If you missed this event but would like to view the film, you can use this link.
UH LGBTQ Resource Center
The LGBTQ Resource Center is dedicated to cultivating safe spaces on campus and empowering LGBTQ students.
UH Center for Diversity and Inclusion
The Center for Diversity and Inclusion fosters an inclusive university community by providing services, programs, and support that engage, empower, and educate our highly diverse student population and campus community that contributes to student success.
Tips for Having Conversations About Race
Guidance and advice from the UH Center for Diversity and Inclusion on having conversations about race in the workplace.
Contact the Center for Diversity and Inclusion
You can contact the CDI with any questions or concerns relating to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on campus.