About the Competition
The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition is open to all Texas Music Festival Orchestra Fellows. All finalists will receive a cash prize and a medal. Subject to approval of the conductor and the availability of orchestral parts, the 2022 winner will perform with the Festival Orchestra under the baton of Mei-Ann Chen at the Moores Opera House June 25, 2022.
- Competitors may only compete with one movement from a standard work from the CLASSICAL ERA (1730-1820) for solo instrument(s) and orchestra (one movement of a concerto, or one movement works are acceptable). Total length not to exceed 15 minutes, including full orchestral tuttis. Competitors may NOT compete with any work that does not meet these specifications. Please contact the TMF Office if you have questions about the eligibility of any work for competition.
- Work must be performed entirely from memory throughout the competition.
- Competitors must bring, and provide, a piano score for the Preliminary Round. Piano score must be an orchestral reduction.
- Preliminary Round: Thursday, June 9, 7 p.m. Competitors will only be allowed an 8-12 minute performance time.
- Final Round: Sunday, June 12. Final Round is open to the public and competitors will be allowed the full 15 minutes to perform their piece or movement.
- TMF reserves right of approval of repertoire that may not meet the requirements listed above.