Bringing Classical music's rising stars to Houston for over 30 years.
The mission of the Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® is to prepare college aged and young professional musicians for careers in music through an intensive summer orchestral training program. The Texas Music Festival serves communities in the greater Houston area with a diverse array of orchestral and chamber music performances by student participants, faculty, and guest artists.
The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® was founded in 1990 to provide young professional musicians with a high-level environment in which to develop skills in orchestral, chamber music, and solo performance. The intensive Orchestral Institute on the University of Houston campus is guided by distinguished artist/faculty from the Moores and Shepherd schools of music, principals and members of the Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera and Ballet orchestras, and internationally recognized guest artists. TMF faculty members perform as soloists with the Festival Orchestra and as part of the PERSPECTIVES chamber music series.
- Intensive three-week orchestral training program in Houston
- For college, graduate, and young professional players (Ages 18-30; younger participants may be considered on a case by case basis)
- 80 talented orchestral musicians are selected to participate each year
- All TMF Orchestra Fellows receive fellowships covering tuition and weekly lessons valued around $3,500
- International musical community
- Faculty from the Moores and Shepherd schools of music, Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera and Ballet orchestras, and other distinguished orchestras and music schools and conservatories
- Master classes with renowned musicians as well as principals and members of the Houston Symphony and other major orchestras
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artists Competition
- Weekly private lesson instruction
- PERSPECTIVES: Faculty Artist Chamber Music Concerts
- Weekly orchestra programs, Mooores Opera House, University of Houston
- Master classes with faculty and guests
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition
- Open to all TMF Orchestra Fellows
- All finalists receive cash prizes. First place winner appears as soloist with the TMF Orchestra.
- Audition requirements
Brought to you by
- Immanuel and Helen B. Olshan Foundation
TMF is housed at the Moores School of Music on the University of Houston’s central campus. University of Houston, Texas' premier urban research university, is located on a beautiful park-like campus in the country's fourth largest city. The Moores School of Music Building is a spacious 144,000 square foot facility, located on the north side of campus. The Moores Opera House is an 800-seat hall praised for its acoustical excellence and celebrated mural by Frank Stella.