Students enrolled in School of Art graduate programs are automatically considered for scholarship funds. Students enrolled in undergraduate discipline-specific block programs are automatically considered for scholarship funds.
To be eligible for a School of Art scholarship, students must meet and maintain the following general criteria:
Hours required to receive/maintain scholarship:
- Studio Undergraduates: 9 hours for students in upper level studio blocks
- Art History Undergraduates: 12 hours
- Studio & Art History Graduates: 9 hours
Semester GPA required to receive/maintain scholarship:
- Studio Undergraduate: 2.5
- Art History Undergraduate: 3.0 cumulative & 3.5 Art History
- Studio & Art History Graduates: 3.0
- Recipient must be a declared art or art history major at the University of Houston, and must be making appropriate progress toward a degree in art or art history.
- Studio recipients must exhibit exceptional skills in artistic merit as determined by the School of Art Scholarship Committee.
- Scholarship recipient must be a full-time student in good standing at the University of Houston.
- Scholarship recipient may accept other scholarships and grants in conjunction with an art scholarship.
Funds for School of Art scholarships may be awarded from the following generously donated endowments:
Frank L. Berry, Jr. Endowment in the School of Art
Sarah Campbell Blaffer Scholarship Endowment
George R. Bunker Graduate Fellowship in Fine Arts
George R. Bunker Scholarship in Art
La Ruth Blain Scholarship Endowment in the School of Art
Thomas Flaxman Endowed Art Scholarship Fund
Peter W. Guenther Art History Scholarship Endowment Fund
Val Link Endowded Scholarship
Nancy Luton Scholarship Endowment for Innovation in Printmaking
La Verne McClellan Endowment Fund in Fine Arts
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts Fellowship
Sarah C. Morian Endowment
Judith Kathleen Morris Memorial Endowment
Gary Choate Memorial and Marc L. Palmer Endowment
Carey C. Shuart Presidential Endowed Fellowship
Laura Eliska Swails Fine Arts Scholarship Endowment
Robin L. Tooms Endowment for Excellence in Graphic Design
Joan Hohlt and Roger Wich Scholarship Endowment in Art
Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts Scholarship
The Dean’s Artistic Excellence Scholarship is an annual scholarship in the amount of $4000, granted to students who demonstrate artistic excellence in the performing and visual arts and who are accepted to one of the programs in the McGovern College of the Arts at the University of Houston.
Eligibility criteria and a link to the scholarship application can be found on the College admissions page.