Skip to main content

Fall 2020 Housing COVID-19 FAQ

Will the University of Houston Residence Halls be open for the 2020-2021 Academic Year?

Yes, the University of Houston Residence Halls will be open. If you’ve not applied for fall and wish to do so, please log into your myHousing portal and follow the links to apply. Student Housing & Residential Life has extended the deadline to cancel without penalty to July 24, 2020, for 2020-2021 Academic Year Agreements. At the time of residents will only be required to submit the application fee of $50. Prepayments for the fall 2020 semester are not required.

If I cancel my fall housing agreement, will I be able to stay in the same building and room for the spring semester?

No, you are not guaranteed your same room or same building if you decide to cancel and apply for spring housing. You will need to apply for the spring 2021 semester, and room assignments will be made in November based on your community preferences and room availability. Spring applications will open in August. If you had a fall application, canceled your agreement, and then re-applied for the spring 2021 semester, you will need to submit a $50 application fee but you will not be charged the $300 prepayment.

Can I sign up to live on campus for the spring semester only?

Yes. We do have a spring-only housing option. There is a separate application for spring that will open in August (tentative). You will complete the application through your myHousing portal. Please note that choosing to live in Bayou Oaks also requires summer occupancy.

How much does it cost to live on campus during the spring 2021 semester?

Housing rates are billed per semester. You can review the housing rates on our rate sheet.

What are the application fees for the spring 2021 application?

All students will be required to pay a $50 application fee when submitting a spring 2021 application. The $300 prepayment fee will be waived for all spring 2021 applications. 

What is the cancellation deadline for spring 2021?

The deadline to cancel for new applicants who have a spring 2021 housing agreement is December 1.

Can I request a specific roommate for spring 2021 semester?

Residents who have a current fall 2020-20201 application can submit their roommate request to the Senior Desk Assistant (SRD) in their building.

Residents who have a spring 2021 application can submit a roommate request to the housing office by emailing your name, PSID number, desired space, and desired roommate name to We cannot guarantee that you will be placed with your requested roommate. Roommate pairings are made based on room availability and we will honor as many requests as possible.

Can I move to a different room after the spring 2021 semester starts?

Yes. You can apply for a room transfer after the 12th class day through our room transfer process. The room transfer process may take a little more time this year to account for communication, social distancing, and prevention practices. Your patience is appreciated.

When is Move-in for Spring 2021?

Spring 2021 Move-in will start on January 10. More information about spring move-in will be available during the fall semester.

When is the Move-out date for Fall 2020?

Residents who do not have a spring 2021 housing agreement must move out no later than noon on December 19, 2020. Students who do not move out by Noon on December 18, 2020, will be billed the daily rate for their room type for each day they occupy their bed space after the last date of occupancy for the fall term.

Will the new residential hall, The Quad, be open for the fall?

Yes, The Quad is scheduled to open in August 2020.

What are the housing options available for the 2020-2021 Academic Year?

We have 7 on-campus housing options available for students. Cougar Village I, Cougar Village II, Cougar Place, University Lofts, Moody Towers, The Quad, and Bayou Oaks. Cougar Village I & II are reserved for freshmen. Moody Towers is available to all classifications of students. Cougar Place, The Quad, and Bayou Oaks are available to students who have sophomore standing or higher. The University Lofts are available to students who have junior standing or higher. For a complete list of housing options, visit https://

How do I apply for housing?

Applying for housing is easy! Simply log in to AccessUH using your CougarNet ID or MyUH Login, and select the myHousing icon to complete an application. Once your application is processed, you will receive a confirmation email.

How do I find a roommate?

You can find a roommate using RoomSync. RoomSync is a self-selection app that allows you to find potential roommates that you may be compatible with. After you applied for housing, you should’ve received an email with a link inviting you to join RoomSync that will prompt you to set up your online profile. Once you’ve set up your RoomSync profile, you will be able to start viewing potential roommate matches. Roommate requests for Fall 2020 must be finalized by residents by June 30, 2020, in order to be considered.

When is move-in?

Move-in for the Fall 2020 semester will be August 17-22. Information on how to sign up for a move in time will be sent to students with confirmed room assignments in July.

How can I tour the residence halls?

Students can utilize the virtual tours for all residence halls on our website at  http://www. .

If you would like to take a virtual tour led by a UH Ambassador you can schedule an appointment by visiting https:// .

What items are resident not allow to have on campus?

Information about what residents can and cannot have on campus will be updated on our Cougar Move-in website -

What are my dining options if I choose to live on campus?

For information about Dining Services and Meal Plans, visit uh/for-residential-students

What information is available about postal services for residents?

Information about postal services and mail forwarding can be found at .

How do I contact my building front desk if I have questions?

For general questions, contact the main Housing Office (M-F, 8am-5pm) at 713-743-6000.

You are also encouraged to call your front desk using the phone numbers below:

  • Bayou Oaks - 713-743-6594
  • Cougar Place - 713-743-6994
  • Cougar Village I - 832-842-6020
  • Cougar Village II - 713-743-6432
  • Moody Towers North - 713-743-6057
  • Moody Towers South - 713-743-6056
  • The Quad - 713-743-6044
  • University Lofts - 832-842-5638

Will I need my Cougar Card to live on campus? How can I obtain my Cougar Card?

Your Cougar Card is the official University of Houston access card for all students, allowing you entry to your on-campus housing location, to use your ShastaBUCKS, meal plans, and on-campus printing. Your card also gives you entry to the on-campus Recreation Center and free entry into most UH games and events. New residential students, please make sure to upload your photo by Friday, July 24th! Your new Cougar Card will be distributed during your scheduled move-in appointment. Returning residential students, don’t forget to bring your Cougar Card back! 

Step-by-Step Photo Upload Guidelines and click here for more information about Cougar Cards

How frequently are common areas cleaned?

Our staff is cleaning and disinfecting daily. All high touch areas, such as door handles, faucet handles, flush handles, elevator buttons, and drinking fountains are disinfected a minimum of two times daily.

What if I need to cancel my 2020-2021 academic year agreement?

If a resident would like to cancel their fall agreement they may do so by sending an email to housing@ Cancellations received after July 24, 2020, will incur a $300 late cancellation fee. Cancellations received after August 17, 2020, may be billed the full value of both the fall and spring portions of their agreement. Students who are not enrolled in classes and cancel after August 17, 2020, will be billed the daily rate for their room from August 17, 2020, until the date of cancellation or move out plus a $750 late cancellation fee.

For the most up to date information regarding the University of Houston and COVID-19 (Coronavirus) please visit https:// .

I am receiving an error message on the myHousing portal. What should l do?

If you are receiving an error message when clicking the myHousing portal that states "I don't have permission to view this page", please use another browser. We are currently working to resolve this issue.