2022-23 Houston Scholars Program at the University of Houston
The Houston Scholars is a competitive program for high-achieving freshmen and sophomores to receive mentorship and scholarship funding to pursue research, internships, and other distinctive experiential learning opportunities. Through targeted programming, participants will benefit from:
- Honing their academic and professional skills.
- Developing connections with faculty.
- Engaging in scholarly endeavors.
- Preparing for applying to nationally competitive scholarships and top graduate school programs.
In addition to these benefits and participating in a motivated cohort of high-achieving students, Houston Scholars are well-positioned to take advantage of research programs, such as the Houston Early Research Experience (HERE), the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF), the Provost's Undergraduate Research Scholarship (PURS), and the Mellon Research Scholars Program which are supported with scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000.
In fall 2022, participants will earn a $500 scholarship that can be renewed for spring 2023, if they meet the following criteria:
- Attend three Houston Scholars professional development seminars (Exact dates TBD, but will take place between late-September and early-November).
- Enroll in the course Your World and Your Voice about current events and argumentative writing (2nd year cohort).
- Attend two Houston Scholars professional development seminars (Exact dates TBD).
- Enroll in the course Mapping Success about making effective decisions while at UH for both your academic and professional future (1st year cohort).
During the course of the academic year 2022-2023, Houston Scholars will hear from a range of speakers about topics to help them make the most of their time at UH and develop their own unique skill sets. Subjects will include Financial Literacy, Writing at the College Level, Developing a Global Perspective, the Value of Diversity and Inclusion, Identifying One's Strengths and Weaknesses, Applied Learning Through Research and Fellowships, Civic Responsibility, and Balancing Mental Health with School. Houston Scholars programming will kick off with a cohort mixer in September and conclude in April. By the end of the year, cohort members will not only have a better understanding of opportunities at UH and how to be a responsible student, but will also be able to develop a more intentional plan for their futures.
At the end of the spring semester, students will give a presentation to their cohort members reflecting on the previous academic year and outline their goals with a plan for the future.
Houston Scholars are also eligible to submit funding proposals for research, attending conferences/workshops, and service activities for summer 2022. The deadline to submit proposals is March 17, 2023.
Questions? For additional information about the Houston Scholars, please contact Dr. Ben Rayder in the Office of Undergraduate Research and Major Awards.