Skip to main content

Transfer Students

If you're thinking of transferring to Hilton College from another college or university and becoming a hotel and restaurant major, here are a few points you need to consider.

Effective Spring 2013:

  • Transfer students who have earned fewer than 15 semester hours of college credit must meet freshman admission requirements.
  • Transfer students who have earned 15 or more semester credit hours at another university must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.85 or higher for regular admission. Likewise, applicants who have earned 15 or more semester credit hours at the University of Houston and want to change their major to hotel and restaurant management must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.85 or higher to be accepted to Hilton College. (All grades for which credit was received and grades received for repeated courses are used in computing the grade point average).
  • Transfer students who demonstrate academic excellence are eligible to receive a scholarship of at least $1,000.
  • Students who are not classified as hotel and restaurant management majors can take freshman- and sophomore-level Hilton College courses. Students must see an academic advisor to change their major and take upper-level hotel and restaurant management courses.
  • Transfer applicants should request that the registrar at each college or university they've attended (including other UH System schools) forward official transcripts to: University of Houston, Office of Admissions, Welcome Center, 4400 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204-2023.

Summer Visiting Students
Undergraduate students who have earned college credit at another regionally accredited U.S. college or university can earn admission as a summer visiting student. To be considered for admission on this basis, the applicant must provide a transcript from the last U.S. college or university documenting good academic standing and apply online to UH through the Transfer Texas Common Application. Note: Financial aid is not available for summer visiting students.

Once a student is admitted on a summer visiting basis, no application is necessary for enrollment in future summer sessions. However, enrollment in a fall or spring semester requires a change in status to a regular student. Thus, the student must meet the general admission requirements of the University of Houston and submit all transcripts from previous colleges or universities. Grades earned as a summer visiting student will be included in determining the cumulative grade point average for admission as a regular student. Credits earned as a summer visiting student can be applied toward a degree at UH if admission as a regular student is granted. Contact the UH Office of Admissions for more information at 713.743.1010.

For more information on applying to UH as a Transfer Student, click here.

NEW STATE OF TEXAS REQUIREMENT: Bacterial meningitis vaccinations are now required for ALL incoming and returning students to the University of Houston. For more information, click here.