Spend a semester on the beautiful coast of Sant Pol de Mar, just 30 minutes away from Barcelona. Conrad N. Hilton College has partnered with Hotel Escuela De Sant Pol de Mar, Spain’s first hospitality school, to create an exchange student program for both undergraduates and graduates to learn in a highly distinguished hospitality and tourist area.
Similar to Hilton College, EUHT StPOL has a working hotel on campus which serves as a training facility for students. The school offers courses in hotel and restaurant management and culinary arts, and is driven by its motto of “Learn by doing.” Its mission is to educate future hospitality leaders by both practice and theory through training laboratories and real-world experiences.
Founded in 1966 by a group of hotel companies, and affiliated with Girona University, EUHT StPOL welcomes more than 250 students from all over the world, including 50 different nationalities each year. From September through June, Sant Pol de Mar is also host to students and professors who live and work in the community.
NOTE: Fall semester dates at Hotel Escuela De Sant Pol de Mar run from September through December. The spring term runs from January through May. Short summer programs are also offered.
- Must be a declared HRM major with at least sophomore status
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
- Must have a valid passport: 6-month validity rule, meaning your passport should be valid for more than six months before you would be allowed to enter Spain. If you do not have a passport, apply immediately from the U.S. Department of State. Or, inquire with the UH Learning Abroad Office.
- Health insurance that covers basic medical illnessesis required. If you do not have health insurance, you will be required to purchase with CISI Insurance or through a private insurance provider.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit an HRM Study Abroad application. The application includes submitting a résumé, essay and naming a faculty reference.
- Applications will be reviewed by the HRM Study Abroad Selection Committee. Students will be informed of their status within two weeks of the application deadline. Assessment of application is based on academic qualifications of the applicant, integration of ECU curriculum with applicant's degree plan, and strength of essay.
- Selected applicants will meet with Jennifer Glickman regarding their application packages to Hotel-Escuela De Sant Pol de Mar.
- Selected applicants will meet with UH Learning Abroad academic advisors.
Selected Applicants Agree to
- Sign a Student Responsibilities Contract.
- Apply for an International Educational Fee Scholarship (IEFS)
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines and procedures of UH Learning Abroad. Please note that Learning Abroad requires an additional application form and a number of documents for outgoing exchange students.
- Assist Hilton College with study-abroad exchange activities (i.e. promoting at All Students Organization Fair, giving short presentations to students about the experience, greeting/assisting incoming exchange students, assisting outgoing exchange students, etc.) during the semester after returning.
Expected Expenses (in USD)
- University of Houston tuition and fees
- UH Learning Abroad administrative fee ($75-$125)
- Airfare – approximately $1,600 as of August 2018 RT IAH-BCN
- Bus – BCN airport to Sant Pol De Mar, $11-12 one-way as of August 2018 (travel time is approx. 1 hr 15 min)
- Visa fees – paid to the Consulate of Spain, $70
- Housing costs for summer is $2600 and for the fall/spring is $3700
- Passport – if you do not hold a valid passport, please apply for one at this time.
- Health Insurance
- Academic materials/textbooks, as required by your syllabi. Summer program has no textbook expenses. Fall term might have textbook purchase of $172.
EUHT StPOL recommends a budget of approximately $300 per month for living costs (transportation, meals, personal expenses, and incidentals).