Expect no less than an Aussie adventure of a lifetime when you visit Western Australia for the newest study-abroad program at Hilton College. Edith Cowan University's School of Business offers hospitality and tourism courses in picturesque Perth. With the surf in its backyard, it's no wonder that Perth has been voted one of the world's most livable cities.
One student per semester will be selected for this program, which offers a variety of elective courses, plus courses on tourism, sports management, events management and other hospitality topics. Housing is available on campus, and the city's accessible transportation system makes exploring the area easy.
NOTE: Spring semester dates at Edith Cowan University run from mid-February through June. The fall term dates are mid-July through November.
With a population of 1.7 million, Perth is the capital of the state of Western Australia. This sunny coastal city is home to some of Australia's best beaches, plenty of nightlife, bustling markets, city parks, outdoor dining and marine adventures. And there's always a barbecue or two going on!
Come discover one of the most beautiful regions of the world and make fun memories while advancing your education.
- Must be a declared GHL major with at least sophomore status
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
- Must have a valid passport: 6 month validity rule meaning that your passport should be valid for more than six months before you would be allowed to enter Australia. If you do not have a passport, apply immediately from the U.S. Department of State. Or inquire with the UH Learning Abroad Office
- Health insurance is required that covers basic medical illnesses. If you do not have health insurance, you will be required to purchase either with the UH Health Center or through a private insurance provider.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit an GHL Study Abroad application. The application includes submitting a résumé, essay and naming a faculty reference.
- Applications will be reviewed by the HRM Study Abroad Selection Committee and students will be informed of their status within two weeks of the application deadline. Assessment of application is based on academic qualifications of the applicant, integration of ECU curriculum with applicant's degree plan and strength of essay.
- Selected applicants will meet with Jennifer Glickman regarding their application packages to Edith Cowan University.
- Selected applicants will meet with UH Learning Abroad academic advisors
Selected Applicants Agree to
- Sign a Student Responsibilities Contract.
- Apply for an International Educational Fee Scholarship (IEFS)—deadline October 1 (spring) or March 1 (fall).
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines and procedures of UH Learning Abroad. Please note that Learning Abroad requires an additional application form and a number of documents for outgoing exchange students.
- Assist Hilton College with study-abroad exchange activities (i.e. promoting at All Students Organization Fair, giving short presentations to students about the experience, greeting/assisting incoming exchange students, assisting outgoing exchange students, etc.) during the semester after returning.
- University of Houston tuition and fees
- UH Learning Abroad Administrative Fee ($75-$125)
- Airfare–approximately $2,800 as of October 2016
- Visa—a student visa for Australia is approximately USD $565
- Housing costs starting at approximately USD $750/month
- Passport—if you do not hold a valid passport, please apply for one at this time
- Medical Insurance—purchasing the Overseas Health Cover (OSHC) is required in Australia; a six-month policy is approximately USD $294
- Local transportation costs—varies depending on how much you travel
- Academic materials/textbooks, as required by your syllabi in Australia
- Personal expenses and incidentals
ECU recommends a budget of approximately USD $2,000 per month for living costs. More information can be found here.
Personal preferences affect the total cost of your program. Participants should plan for the trip and budget appropriately.
More about studying at Edith Cowan University, including requirements, procedures and important dates can be found here.