Skip to main content

How to fund graduate school

There are multiple methods by which graduate and professional students can fund college at the University of Houston.  Graduate funding is available in the form of scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships. In addition, there are numerous external resources available for students to obtain funding for their respective programs.

Graduate Fellowships

UH fellowships provide students support beyond normal graduate assistantships. More than 2,000 fellowships are offered each year to qualified students in all fields of study.

Graduate Tuition Fellowship

The Graduate Tuition Fellowship (GTF) is a competitive award program administered by the Graduate School that covers the cost of in-state tuition and mandatory fees for qualified Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA), and Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) students. Selections for these fellowships are awarded by each respective college.

Academic Eligibility

A. Possess an undergraduate degree or its equivalent and be admitted to a Ph.D., DMA, or MFA degree program.

B. Register for a minimum of nine (9) credit hours during an academic semester (fall and spring).

C. Minimum academic standing requirements:

1. Begin doctoral program with a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0.

2. Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.

3. Demonstrate satisfactory progress in course work, and timely progress in completing the degree requirements as defined by the enrolling graduate program. Note: Degree requirements include both course work and thesis/dissertation.


Follow the link below for more information on your college's GTF policies.

The Presidential and Houston Endowment Fellowship

The Presidential and Houston Endowment Fellowships were established to assist programs to identify and recruit highly-qualified Ph.D. students. These two-year (Presidential)/five-year (Houston Endowment) fellowships are available to students entering doctoral programs at the University of Houston. Selections for these fellowships are awarded by each respective college.

Cullen Graduate Fellowship Travel Grant

The Cullen Fellowship Travel Grant (CFTG) is a competitive fellowship program established to support graduate student travel to meetings, conferences, performances, and exhibits to showcase their research and scholarly work.  This travel grant program is designed both to enhance professional development opportunities for students and to further promote the status of the University of Houston as a Carnegie-designated Tier One research university.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate student assistantships encompass the positions of teaching fellow, teaching assistant, instructional assistant, research assistant, and graduate assistant. Graduate students must meet minimal university requirements to be eligible for a graduate assistantship. For university policies on graduate assistantships, please refer to the graduate catalog.

Financial Aid by College

The following is a list of financial aid segmented by college:
 College of Optometry Financial Aid

College of Optometry

External Scholarships

There are thousands of scholarship opportunities available for nearly every graduate or professional student available through outside sources.  Click your respective college or program to find scholarships that may pertain to you.

Scholarship Databases