COVID-19 UPDATES GRADUATE (UPDATED August 20,2021)
See important information regarding the start of the Fall 2021 semester.
- President’s August 10 Message to Students
- Provost’s August 12 Message to Students
- FAQ for Students for Fall 2021
Latest COVID-19 updates here: https://www.uh.edu/covid-19/
Learn more about the Cougar Vaccination incentive program.
COVID-19 UPDATES (UPDATED MARCH 1, 2021)
The interim graduate grade policy has been reinstated for the Spring 2021 semester. .
Several deadlines for the spring semester have been extended:
- The last day to drop a course or withdraw with a “W” has been extended to April 21, 2021.
- Thesis/Dissertation final submission and approval deadline for graduate students has been extended to May 28, 2021.
- The deadline to apply to graduate has been extended to March 5, 2021. The late graduation application filing period is March 6-26, 2021.
Please check here for the latest UH COVID-19 updates.
COVID-19 UPDATES (UPDATED MAY 6, 2020)
Effective March 17, 2020, the Graduate School E. Cullen office is closed but we continue to work remotely to serve the UH graduate community and are available by phone and email. Please contact us if you have any questions or need assistance (Use COVID-19 in the subject line for COVID-19 related questions).
Please check the following links for the latest UH COVID-19 updates:
CURRENT GRADUATE STUDENTS
An Interim Graduate Grading Policy is in effect for the Spring 2020 semester and all summer 2020 sessions.
The policy provides graduate students with the option to choose Satisfactory/No Credit (S/NCR) grading on a course-by-course basis. Professional students should check with their program to determine eligibility.Should you choose this option, it means that if your course's current grading scheme is Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, grades of Satisfactory will remain the same, and grades of Unsatisfactory will convert to No Credit Reported COVID-19 (NCR).
If your course's current grading scheme is letter grade, then students with a grade of C- or higher may choose to receive the Satisfactory (S) grade instead of the letter grade. For grades below C-, students may choose to receive the No Credit Reported COVID-19 (NCR) option instead of the letter grade.
Grades are due on May 11 and students will have until May 18, 2020, to determine the grading option choice for each class.
Information on choosing your grading option can be found here.
Check with your department/College for any specific changes in the process. Your defense should be scheduled in a virtual format using Microsoft Teams, ZOOM or Skype. Some tips for virtual thesis defenses are found here.
Electronic signatures are accepted on the thesis/dissertation approval form.
The university level thesis/dissertation deadline has been extended from May 11 to May 22, 2020
Spring 2020 Commencement has been postponed to a later date. Diplomas will be mailed so make sure that your address information in PeopleSoft is up to date and accurate. If you prefer, you may add a diploma address if you would like the diploma to be mailed to a different address.
OTHER INFORMATION AND RESOURCES FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
We know that this situation is challenging to graduate students in many different ways. Please take care of yourself and support each other in the coming weeks as we navigate this disruptive situation together.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
The University Wellness and Recreation Center is offering remote workouts and live group fitness challenges (@UHrecreation on social media). Student Health offers remote options including TeleHealth.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AND SCHOLARS SERVICES OFFICES (ISSSO)
ISSSO staff will be working from home to assist you, by telephone and email during the hours of 8:00 am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
UNIVERSITY COUNSELING AND PSYCHOLOGICAL SERVICES (CAPS)
In compliance with the "Stay Home Work Safe” order, CAPS will operate remotely via Teletherapy (phone and video) starting at 8 am March 25.
- During business hours, you may contact us at 713.743.5454 and we will assist you per our normal business hours procedures.
- After business hours, please contact us at 713.743.5454 and follow the prompts to leave a message or to be connected to the after-hours clinician.
Link to the latest information from CAPS.
UNIVERSITY CAREER SERVICES
Visit our expanded Virtual Drop-in hours during the following days and times using our Virtual Chat Platform beginning, Monday, March 16 thru Friday, April 17 by clicking on the (Live Chat) button on our UCS homepage:
- Monday-Thursday: 9 am-12 pm and 1-4 pm
- Extended hours Monday-Tuesday: 4-5 pm
- Friday:1-4 pm
We will host our remaining UCS workshops virtually using zoom. Please log into Cougar Pathway here to view upcoming virtual workshops and for more details.
Career Counseling Appointments Options:
30-minute appointments with a career counselor can be conducted via phone or virtually using zoom by logging into Cougar Pathway here and submit your appointment request. Once your appointment request has been submitted a career counselor will email you with more details. Lastest updates available here.
- Getting Access to Library Materials.
- The vast majority of our databases and journals are available anywhere that has an internet connection, including your home. You will be prompted to log in via Cougarnet if off-campus.
- If you use Google Scholar, set up Library Links or search through us so that you have access to UH Libraries’ resources off-campus
- If you need streaming media for your classes, visit our webpage. Services may experience high demand.
- Please wait to return physical materials (books, DVDs, etc.) to the library. We will be automatically extending due dates and not issuing fines.
- We are currently lending out books only. This is subject to change; please review libraries.uh.edu for the latest.
- The inter-library loan will continue but our response time will be slower. If you need materials that we do not have, it is available to you at https://libraries.uh.edu/services/interlibrary-loan/ This is also subject to change; please review libraries.uh.edu for the latest.
- Getting Help: If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact the librarians assigned in your subject area.
ONLINE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The DoctoralMastersNet resources are online, free to use and available to graduate students on 24/7 demand. Earn professional development badges or certificates. This video explains DoctoralNet (login information at the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmCA1_Yq5s&feature=youtu.be
Any questions or problems logging in, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org