Skip to main content

FAQ: Graduate Programs

Please find answers to frequently asked questions about our graduate programs. If you have additional questions, email our recruitment office at

Jump to…


Degree Programs

What graduate degree programs do you offer?

The College of Education offers the following master’s and doctoral degree programs:

  • M.Ed.: Administration and Supervision, Counseling, Curriculum and Instruction, Higher Education, Special Populations
  • Ed.D.: Professional Leadership
  • Ph.D.: Counseling Psychology; Curriculum and Instruction; Higher Education Leadership and Policy Studies; Measurement, Quantitative Methods and Learning Sciences; School Psychology

Are any of your graduate programs offered online?

Yes, we offer several online M.Ed. and Ed.D. programs. In fact, on the the U.S. News & World Report list of best online M.Ed. programs (2021), we rank No. 7 in the country.

  • M.Ed. Online Programs: Curriculum and Instruction (these specializations only: bilingual/ESL education; early childhood; health science; learning, design and technology; math; and literacy); Higher Education; Special Populations (these specializations only: special education; gifted and talented)
  • Ed.D. Online Programs: Professional Leadership (these specializations only: literacy and social studies)

Can I keep my full-time job and attend graduate school?

Our M.Ed. and Ed.D. programs are designed for working professionals (except for the M.Ed. in counseling). Our Ph.D. programs are designed mostly for full-time students with some part-time options.

I’m a teacher. Can you help me decide between master’s programs?

The M.Ed. in administration and supervision is for teachers who want to become certified school principals. The M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction prepares students to be content and curriculum specialists. Teachers also may be interested in an M.Ed. in special populations; applicants must be a teacher to be considered for the specialization in special education leadership or the specialization to become a certified educational diagnostician (two other specializations that may interest teachers are special education and gifted and talented).

I have a bachelor’s degree and want to be a teacher. Do you offer an alternative certification program (ACP)?

No, we only offer teacher certification at the undergraduate level. We do not have an alternative certification program or post-baccalaureate program.

Are your counseling psychology and school psychology programs accredited?

Yes, our Ph.D. in counseling psychology and Ph.D. in school psychology programs are accredited by the American Psychological Association.

How can I find more information about a specific program?

Our program webpages, linked on our Degrees and Programs page, are the best place to start. Also, check out our doctoral program FAQs and our master’s, certification and certificate FAQs. If you have additional questions, please email our recruitment office at For more specific program questions, find contact information for all program directors.


Application Process

What materials do I need to apply?

To be considered for admission, you must submit the following materials:

  • ApplyWeb application
  • Transcripts
  • Official test scores (some programs offer GRE waivers)
  • Statement of interest
  • Resume or Curriculum Vitae
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Supplemental documentation (required for some programs)

Where can I find detailed information about the application process? 

Start with our Graduate Admissions webpage to walk you through admission requirements and the application process.

What is the minimum GPA requirement? 

The College of Education requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.6 for undergraduate coursework or over the last 60 credit hours of coursework. The College requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for graduate coursework.

Do I need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam)?

It depends. The College of Education offers GRE waivers for applicants to certain programs who meet the requirements.

How do I sign up to take the GRE?

Visit if you need to take the GRE.

What is the minimum required GRE score?

We don’t require a minimum score.

My scores are not great. May I still apply?

Yes. The admission committee considers each applicant holistically. No decisions are based solely on GRE scores, GPA or any other individual factor. There is no one part of the application considered more important than any other part.

Does College of Education accept old GRE scores?

Your scores must be less than 5 years old.

I am applying to a Ph.D. program and already have a master's degree. Do I need to take the GRE?

Yes, typically. GRE scores are usually required for all of our Ph.D. applicants. However, the Ph.D. programs in counseling psychology, higher education and school psychology are not requiring the GRE for fall 2021 applicants in response to the pandemic.

I’m taking the GRE a few weeks before/after the application deadline. Will my application still be considered?

No. In the interest of fairness, incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

I sent most of my application materials in before the deadline, but I know a few items such as letters of reference are still missing. Will it be considered?

No. Applicants must ensure that all required materials are received by the application deadline. Give your references plenty of time to submit their letters and remind them of the deadline. In the interest of fairness, incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

When is my application due?

Please review the application deadlines for individual programs by term.

Certification & Certificate Programs

I already have an advanced degree but am seeking state certification in an education-related field. What programs do you offer?

The College of Education offers certification-only programs for those who want to be K-12 principals and for those who want to be educational diagnosticians.

I’m not looking for another degree, but I’d like to gain new skills and improve my resume. What options do you offer?

We offer the following certificate programs: Designing and Developing Educational Graphics; Integrating Innovative Technologies in Health Science Education; Multimedia; Online Teaching and Learning; and Disability Support.

How do I apply for a certification-only or certificate program?

You must follow the standard graduate application process for certification-only or certificate programs; however, the GRE is not required.

What are the application deadlines for certification-only or certificate programs?

Please review the application deadlines for individual programs by term.

Transfer Credits

Can I transfer credits into a College of Education graduate program?

Typically, all work for graduate degrees must be completed at the University of Houston. Under some circumstances, graduate coursework with a grade of B or higher may be transferred. A transfer credit request is subject to faculty evaluation and must be consistent with the degree requirements and/or research plan as approved by the student’s graduate program faculty advisor. Only graduate-level courses may be transferred. In addition, transfer credit CANNOT be older than five years from a degree that has not been completed.

Tuition and Fees

How much will I pay for graduate school?

Graduate tuition and fees vary depending on your department, residence status, graduate level and the courses you’re taking. Please use the UH tuition calculator for an estimate. Also, check University fees, College fees and course fees for the full picture.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Is funding available to support graduate students?

The majority our graduate students receive some type of financial aid such as scholarships, assistantships, grants, work-study and loans. For more information, please visit the UH Graduate School funding website. To get started, complete the FAFSA. Undocumented students may complete the TASFA. Please note that students in certification-only programs (principal and educational diagnostician) are not eligible for financial aid per policy.

Does the College of Education offer any scholarships?

Yes, the College of Education offers numerous scholarships for new and current graduate students. The application typically opens in January.

More questions?
Please email your questions to our recruitment office at