Test Score Requirements
As part of the application for graduate degree programs, the UH College of Education requires the following official test scores:
- Official GRE scores: All domestic and international applicants for graduate degree programs must submit official GRE scores unless a waiver is granted. GRE scores must be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS). GRE scores are NOT required for certificate and certification-only programs.
- English proficiency: International applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the University. This can can be satisfied by receiving a baccalaureate degree from a regionally U.S. accredited institution, from an institution at which English is the medium of instruction in certain countries, or official submission of scores for TOEFL, IELTS or LLC.
The UH College of Education offers GRE waivers for applicants to certain programs who meet the requirements.
GRE Waiver Options Available to All Applicants
- M.Ed. in Administration and Supervision
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. in Higher Education
- M.Ed. in Special Populations
- M.Ed. in Counseling
- Ed.D. in Professional Leadership — K-12
- Ed.D. in Professional Leadership — Special Populations
- Ed.D. in Professional Leadership — Literacy
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology
- Ph.D. in Curriculum & Instruction
- Ph.D. in Higher Education
- Ph.D. in School Psychology
Applicants holding a terminal doctoral degree earned outside the United States are subject to review by the Graduate School before a waiver of the GRE will be granted. The Graduate School must certify whether a doctoral degree earned outside the United States meets the same academic standards as a domestic M.D., J.D., or Ph.D.
GRE Waiver Options for UH Alumni (Within Three Years)
View the UH GRE Waiver Qualifications for the following programs:
- Ed.D. in Administration and Supervision
- Ed.D. in Counseling
- Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Ed.D. in Special Populations
- Ed.D. in Professional Leadership
All graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship status, must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the university. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must satisfy one of the following criteria:
Students must have earned a Baccalaureate degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or at an institution at which English is the medium of instruction in the following countries:
Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Bahamas, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Trinidad, the Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Barbados, Grenada, Turks and Caicos, and English-speaking Canadian provinces
The following exams can be used to demonstrate English proficiency:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The minimum TOEFL score required is 79 or higher for the internet-based test (iBT). The minimum TOEFL score for the paper-based (pBT) exam is 550 or higher. TOEFL scores must be received directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the University. (School Code: 6870)
International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
The minimum IELTS score required is an overall band score of a 6.5 or higher on the ACADEMIC version of the exam. The testing agency should mail the official results directly to the University. (School Code: 6870)
Pearson Test of English (PTE)
The overall score must be 53 or higher. The testing agency should mail the official results directly to the University. (School Code: 6870)
Duolingo English Test
For international graduate applicants, the University of Houston Graduate School has approved the Duolingo English Test for English proficiency exams. Duolingo English Tests are valid for two years from the date the test was taken. A minimum score of 105 is required. Learn more about the Duolingo English Test.
UH Language and Culture Center (LCC)
Completion of Level 6 of the University of Houston's Language and Culture Center. Formal approval from the office must be provided to the University.