Data Science Academic Programs at UH
Data science skills, even without a specialization in the subject, provide an edge in today’s job market. The University of Houston’s academic programs in data science and related fields prepare its graduates to be competitive for jobs that require this important skill set. Current and prospective students can choose from a variety of different programs that are designed to fit different needs.
This program is open to both students currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Houston and those who have completed a baccalaureate degree and wish to enroll only in the graduate certificate. The program can be completed in two semesters. It consists of 5 courses (15 credit hours) with a three-course common data science core followed by two domain-specific data-science-oriented courses. One of the latter two courses can be project-oriented or an internship in a Houston area company supervised by a UH faculty member. Internships are coordinated by the HPE DSI.
The data science minor is designed to prepare students in different disciplines to employ computational thinking and data science tools to solve practical problems in their areas of expertise. The coursework spans introduction to computer programming and statistical data analysis, as well as hands on training in pattern recognition, data mining and machine learning.
This minor is not available to computer science majors or computer science minors.
Please visit the department of Computer Science website for more details and contact information.
Other Academic Degree Programs Related to Data Science
- MS in Computer Science - Data Analytics Track (Computer Science)
- MS in Statistics and Data Science (Mathematics)
- MS in Business Analytics (Bauer College of Business)
- MS in Information System Security (College of Technology)
- Ph.D. in Measurement, Quantitative Methods, and Learning Sciences (Education)
- Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics for Condition and Performance Monitoring of Engineered Systems (Subsea Engineering)
- DASH: Data Analytics in Student Hands (Honors College)
- Undergraduate Certificate in Quantitative Economics (Economics)
- Undergraduate Minor in Quantitative Social Science (Political Science)
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Data Analytics in Accounting (Bauer College of Business)
There are several data-science intensive courses offered by various UH departments.
Data Science Training Courses Offered by the HPE Data Science Institute
- Machine Learning: Data Analytics & Deep Learning (Fall 2019: 8/26-9/20 and 10/18-11/11)
- Deep Learning using TensorFlow (not offered in Fall 2019)
HPE DSI Sponsored Courses
COSC 6336 - Natural Language Processing
COSC 6380 - Digital Image Processing
COSC 6397 - Introduction to Data Mining and Machine Learning
MATH 6397 - Mathematics of Machine Learning
Data Science Oriented Courses
Here is a list of data science related courses currently offered by departments at the University of Houston.