Co-Sponsored by LeadUH and the Center for Diversity and Inclusion
In partnership with the Center for Student Involvement LeadUH Series, CDI offers an introductory (level 1) diversity certificate program, RISE. RISE is an introductory (level 1) diversity certificate program for students. The program provides engaging workshops and programs aimed at increasing students’ knowledge and understanding of their own culture and the culture of others. Improvement in these areas enhance students’ ability to effectively engage and work with diverse populations.
Benefits of Participating
- Gain marketable skills needed to work on a diverse team for future internship and employment opportunities
- Increase your cultural understanding of self and others
- Receive plaque and recognition at the annual Spring Campus Leaders Ceremony
Core Courses (Required)
Tuesday, February 2nd | 1:00pm – 2:00pm
What does diversity even mean, and why does it matter? This workshop will discuss the meaning of diversity and explore the multiple diversities that exist. Participants enhanced understanding of how to embrace diversity in order to work more effectively across difference.
Tuesday, March 16th | 1:00pm – 2:00pm
This workshop will focus on why language is important and how the words we use affect our perceptions and can sometimes influence our environment.
Thursday, March 4th | 4:00pm – 5:00pm
This workshop explores the dynamics of power and privilege, its effect on others and society, and ways we can change our behavior in becoming better allies to alleviate barriers.
Participants may choose from any of the following options to complete 1 elective credit required for the RISE program. Workshops cannot be repeated for multiple credits. All programs marked with a * are hosted by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.
Center for Diversity and Inclusion Workshops and Programs
Thursday, February 18th | 12:00pm – 1:00pm
This workshop will provide participants with the relevant knowledge, skills and resources that will help them to better support the needs of the UH undocumented and DACA student population.
Thursday, February 25th | 2:00pm – 3:00pm
Diversity 201 allows participants to enhance their knowledge of cultural and personal identity and intersectionality. Diversity 201 is a workshop designed to expound upon topics discussed in Diversity 101. It is encouraged for participants to attend Diversity 101 before participating in this workshop.
For the Spring 2021 semester, in order to complete the RISE program, participants must attend CDI's Diversity Institute, offered virtually, and write a reflection paper that connects information from core courses to the events – see below. Please contact Nyocia Edwards at nedward4@Central.UH.EDU for more information.
The capstone paper is a 1-2 page reflection paper that should answer the following questions:
- Share your biggest takeaway from attending the workshops or events (4-5 sentences)
- Please summarize your experience attending the Fall Speaker Series and how the information/principals you learned during the workshops connects with your experience (4-5 sentences)
- Articulate how your new knowledge will benefit you as a leader on campus or within your future career (4-5 sentences)
- Please explain how you plan to use the information presented at workshops or events to foster an inclusive campus community (4-5 sentences)