Fall 2020 Updates for Students
The majority of the Center for Students with DisABILITIES (CSD)’s Test Administration Policy & Procedures will remain in effect in the Fall, 2020 semester, with the following changes:
1. In order to comply with social distancing requirements, CSD will have reduced capacity for testing at
the Center in the Fall 2020 semester. Therefore, we encourage online testing as a first option.
- Students who require physical assistance or technology (i.e., reader, scribe, CCTV) for testing will be eligible to take their exams at CSD. If a student fits this criteria and would like to take exams at CSD they should request a “CSD COVID-19 Testing Form” by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (713) 743-5400.
- Please refer to the “CSD COVID-19 Testing Form Instructions.” Processes and time requirements for this form are different than for Request for Individualized Testing Accommodation (RITA) form.
- Time slots for testing will be limited. Available time slots will be indicated on the “CSD COVID-19 Testing Form.”
- RITA forms and RITA Change Forms will not be utilized during the Fall 2020 semester.
- Exams and supplemental materials must be sent to CSD electronically, and will be returned to instructors electronically, rather than hand-delivered.
Test Administration Policy and Procedures
- The Center for Students with DisABILITIES (CSD) works to ensure that reasonable testing accommodations are provided for students who have registered with CSD and who are eligible for such accommodations.
- It is the student's responsibility to provide their approved accommodation form to their instructors, and to request recommended testing accommodations. Request for Individualized Testing Accommodations (RITA) forms should be submitted to CSD no less than 3 business days prior to the scheduled exam/quiz date. Students should ask the instructors to complete their portion of the RITA form. RITA forms should be returned in person, faxed or emailed to CSD before the exam date. CSD will not administer exams or quizzes without this signed form.
- Instructors: Instructors may fax or e-mail exams with less than 48 hours notice, but advance notice is required in order to ensure that testing accommodations can be arranged. CSD no longer picks up exams.
- It is up to the discretion of instructors as to the dates and times that exams are scheduled. Students are encouraged to discuss their scheduling preferences with their instructors.
- CSD hours of operation are 8–5, Monday–Friday. Extended hours are 8–7, Monday and Tuesday, Fall and Spring semesters only. There are no extended hours during university breaks. Occasionally students taking an exam earlier than the class time will be required to stay at CSD per instructor’s request.
- Only students who are registered with CSD and are taking an exam are allowed in the exam rooms. Students are required to present a Cougar Card ID prior to being issued their exam. Any exceptions will be at the discretion of CSD staff and will be documented.
- Rescheduling: Students and their instructors are responsible for rescheduling exams. A RITA change form must be submitted in person or faxed. Exams that are not rescheduled will be returned within 48 hours to the instructor or the department.
- If a student is more than 15 minutes late for an exam they must obtain their instructor’s permission to take the exam or reschedule. Students may not start their exam within one hour and 10 minutes of CSD scheduled closing time even if the RITA has a negotiable exam start time. Students must submit their exams 10 minutes before CSD closes.
- CSD adheres to the UH Academic Honesty Policy. CSD requires instructor written approval for the use of a computer, note cards, tables, charts, books, calculators, or any other materials during an exam.
- Personal belongings (including, but not limited to, backpacks, purses, wallets, watches, hats, hoodies, books, notes, or electronic devices) that are not authorized in writing by the instructor are not allowed in the exam rooms. CSD is not responsible for purses and/or valuables. If a student has an unauthorized item in their possession in an exam room, the item will be confiscated and their instructor will be notified. An incident report will be written and placed in the student’s CSD file. Students may not be allowed to continue their exam without instructor permission, and may need to remain in the CSD lobby until the instructor is reached.
- Exams will be returned to the instructor or departmental office in a sealed envelope (unless an instructor indicates otherwise), along with the scantron, bluebook, scratch paper and any other accompanying materials. All scratch paper used during an exam will be supplied by CSD, unless otherwise provided by the instructor. Instructors will be informed of the time a student starts and turns in an exam on the in/out slip attached to the exam.
- Food is prohibited in the exam rooms and computer labs. Beverages must be in a closed container. Students who need to eat during an exam may do so in the lobby area only. Closed containers in the computer lab must be on the floor.
- Talking or any communication with anyone other than CSD staff at any time once an exam is in the student’s possession (including breaks) is prohibited. If a student is found communicating with another student during an exam (including breaks), their instructor will be notified, and their exam may be confiscated. Students must take their exam to the front desk during breaks. Students may go only to the restroom or the lobby area during breaks.
- In the event that a student becomes ill during an exam, CSD staff will call 911 if needed. The student’s instructor will be notified.
- CSD staff cannot provide restroom assistance. Students who may require this will need to bring their own assistant.
- Exam rooms, computer labs, and other areas of the CSD building are monitored through a surveillance system. Instructors and/or other appropriate authorized UH personnel may view students taking exams.
- A limited number of private testing rooms are available. Students who take exams with certain assistive technology or require a reader and/or scribe during exams shall have priority for these rooms. Students are responsible for monitoring their own exam time and submitting their exam when their time is up.
- If a student refuses to follow CSD policy or instruction from CSD staff, such as refusing to submit an exam when directed to do so, consequences will include notifying the instructor, security and/ or confiscating the exam. A student life referral may also be submitted to the Dean of Students Office.
- If a student is observed with an unauthorized item on more than one occasion they will need to meet with the CSD Director or their designee before they are allowed to continue to take exams at CSD.
- Lights need to be on in the individuals testing rooms at all times.
|Fall/Spring||Latest time to begin exam||Exam must be completed by|
|Mon – Tue||8:00am – 7:00pm||5:50pm||6:50pm|
|Wed – Fri||8:00am – 5:00pm||3:50pm||4:50pm|
|Mon – Fri||8:00am – 5:00pm||3:50pm||4:50pm|