Community exposure that could necessitate self-quarantine include the following, even for those who previously had COVID-19 and those who have taken a serologic (antibody) test and have antibodies to the COVID-19 virus:
- You have had “close contact” with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19, and with respect to that person:
- You were within 6 feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period
- You provided them care at home
- You had direct physical contact (touched, hugged, or kissed them)
- You shared eating or drinking utensils
- They sneezed, coughed, or somehow got respiratory droplets on you
- You have returned from international travel and have NOT been fully vaccinated
If you have had potential exposure to COVID-19, you should:
- Complete the form Reporting Potential COVID-19 Exposure
- Employees should contact their supervisor
- If advised to Self-Quarantine follow the Self-Quarantine/Isolation protocols and do not return to campus until Completion of Self-Quarantine/Isolation.
- If your potential exposure to COVID-19 is related to ongoing exposure, see Ongoing COVID-19 Exposure
Note: None of the above actions are necessary if you have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and the following apply:
- You are fully vaccinated (i.e., > 2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or > 2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single dose vaccine) AND
- You have remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure.
However, in such an event, CDC guidance recommends that you:
- Get tested 3-5 days after your exposure (even if you do not have symptoms) and
- Wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until your test result is negative.
If your test result is positive, you must follow the protocols for a positive COVID-19 Diagnosis.
Returning to Campus
See Completion of Self-Quarantine/Isolation for when the self-quarantine/isolation will end and what is required before the UH community member is allowed to return to work/class/activities on campus.